PDA

View Full Version : rifle accuracy

Eddf
12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
ok, i'm new here and i just started reloading iam shooting a 7mm-08 with fire formed brass federak match primers with hornady v-max 120 gr. flat based ballistic tips being pushed by 40 grains of h335 powder. My trouble is one day i can go out and shoot a 1" group and the next day i will shoot probably a 3" group any help or tips would be appreciated.

klausg
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Eddf-
Check all of your action screws, make sure they are good & tight. Also check your scope mounts/ sights and ensure they aren't loose. If you still have the problem, it could be:

a) your scope
b) you
c) varying range conditions

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but I really suspect some loose screws somewhere other than behind the trigger.

-Klaus

buckndee
12-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Eddf
Sounds like if you can shoot 1" groups some days but not others. Check your shooting position. Solid sand bagged in bench rest position is the first thing to do. Set up so you are sitting up stright to roll with the recoil. Then use a cosistant firm grip on the rifle, focus on trigger control. Hold the rifle the same way for each shot, consistancy is the key to shooting good groups. Also use a target that has a clearly defined aimming point. For example I use 1" black shooting square pasters and place the paster in the junction where the cross hairs meet. Sight picture kind of looks like you are amming at the corner of the square paster. Any light showing between the cross hair and paster is clearly defined. Good shooting to you.

Buck