PDA

View Full Version : rifle accuracy

Eddf
12-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I just started reloading and iam having trouble getting consistent accurcy out of my loads, iam reloading with fire formed brass that has been shot in my rifle iam reloading with federal match grade primers 40 grains of h335 120 grain hornady flat base v-max ballistic tips, i clean my primer pockets the case necks and iam only neck resizing. My trouble is i can go out and shoot a 1" group one day and the next shoot a 3" group with the same loads. any help or tips would be appreciated Thank you,Edd:confused:

klausg
12-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Eddf-
Check all of your action screws, make sure they are good & tight. Also check your scope mounts/ sights and ensure they aren't loose. If you still have the problem, it could be:

a) your scope
b) you
c) varying range conditions

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but I really suspect some loose screws somewhere other than behind the trigger.

-Klaus

versifier
12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
What is the rifle and cartridge? Probably no bearing on the problem, just curious. That much variation definitely has a physical component. Action screws have a sneaky way of loosening when you least expect it, and I have been caught that way more than once. :) Usually you notice if the scope or sights are loose, but even Loctited screws will loosen when they have undergone rapid or wide ranging temperture changes. Harder to pick up on are internal scope problems - they would make a man tear his hair out (if I still had any).