PDA

View Full Version : To All Experts:Relaoding Advise

Toothless & Broke
01-05-2007, 07:22 PM
This is my standard load for my 44 Mag.
23.0 grains H110 Powder / 240 gr JHP / CCI 350 Large Pistol Mag Primer

I want to try a fast burning powder that I use for my .357 Mag and this is what I came up with.
9.5 - 10.0 grains HP38/ 240 gr JHP/ - SHOULD I USE A MAGNUM PRIMER OR JUST A LARGE PISTOL PRIMER / WOULD IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?

I want to shoot each load for accuracy and recoil and because I have 2 lbs of
H38 I like to use the older powder up.:fighting68:

Oldbushman
01-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Bout the only time I use a Magnum primer is where the powder listed specifies it's use ! Magnum primers will raise your pressues ,but upon stating that Winchester primers we get over our side of the pond are suitible for standard & magnum applications

Dave

Toothless & Broke
01-06-2007, 10:31 AM
So ... I should not use the Magnum primer with that faster burning powder,:confused: no matter what the load size is.

versifier
01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
It really becomes an issue as you approach maximum loads. Generally though, with loads in the middle of the pressure curve, it won't make much difference from a safety standpoint, and only your revolver can tell you how it effects accuracy. That load isn't a really hot one, at least according to the manual. I think it's worth experimenting to find out. IME, magnum primers are seldom necessary, but they can make a big difference performance-wise with hot loads of slower powders, and when shooting in very cold weather.

Toothless & Broke
01-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks Guys, Think I'll load about 12 rounds and see what kind of groups I get. My .44 is built like a" Brick S&%#House" and actually bigger and heavier than a Ruger .44 BlackHawk .I didn't think it would be a problem loading and shooting that reload, But I honestly didn't know about using that CCI 350 primer.:roll:

kodiak1
01-06-2007, 08:55 PM
I remember reading an article on primers and lower velocity and it was stated in there that most of the time a magnum primer will give you a poorer velocity than the normal primers.
Wish I could remember where I saw that and whom had printed it. Could of even been in Handloader as I read that very religiously.

I know in both my 357 and 44 Mag I use normal primers for cast bullets and even for the J word Bullets when I load them.

Good Loading Ken.:animal26:

Toothless & Broke
01-06-2007, 11:47 PM
I tried using large pistol primers for my .44 with 24 grs. of H110 and it left powder in the case. The CCI 350 primers will certainly assure me that all the powder in that compressed load will burn, that slower powder with a mag primer is a great combination ... but still comfortable to shoot.
That combo of powder and primer loaded with a 240 grain bullet is getting approx. 1450 - 1500 fps.
I use Hodgdon powder religiously and Win296 is rated about the same. Man I just love shooting that calibur.. never get bored with it!:happy69:

Any of yau all ever shoot wax bullets?

Toothless & Broke
01-07-2007, 03:28 PM
I loaded up 6 rounds /10 grains of HP38 /240 gr HP/Rem Brass/ CCI 350 Primer
@ 25 yds. Free standing ,I had 5 rounds at 10 O'clock 2" off the Bull 1.50" group /one flyer @ 9 0'clock 3" off the group. This load is light and very easy to sustain the recoil. I'll chronograph the round next trip to the range for velocity details. All in all , I think it will be a better load for my wife, since I don't squat when I p!$$.

jdozier
01-16-2007, 07:05 PM
I have been using Bullseye smokeless powder for most of my pistol reloads and it seams to be a dirty burning powder, with lots of smoke upon ignition. Makes the guns really dirty, can anyone suggest a better, cleaner charging solution....?

versifier
01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I use Unique, but that's not exactly a clean powder either. There has been much talk lately about Clays, which is said to be one of the cleanest pistol powders around. I will get some on my next powder order, but that probably won't be until next fall as I have about 20lbs of milsurp to go through first.

Bullshop Junior X2
01-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Any of yau all ever shoot wax bullets?

No I've never shot any wax bullets BUT when my dad lived in a cabin by himself (before he got married) he shot soap bullets with just a primer at mice with a 44 mag. he said that it was great fun!
but sometimes he used a 22 l.r.
Tony

C1PNR
02-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I know this is late, but I USUALLY save Magnum primers for use with ball powders. OR, as specified by the manual (.357 Mag comes to mind).

But I should also add that I use Winchester primers almost exclusively. In many cases they seem to be all I need.

Whatever primer you choose, NOW is the time to stock up on them! And brass, too!