PDA

View Full Version : brass

grizzspot
01-18-2007, 05:26 PM
could someone please tell me if it matters if there is a diffrence when loading brass to a load can i use any shell for that load or just the shell that is for that load i have a assortment of shells of the same cal. but not enough books to to get a load for each shell to be exact thank you new to reloading

kodiak1
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
When you talk shell I am taking that as the brass.
Some people sort them and are very particular, some throw them in a box and load them as they come out. How fine or finicky do you want to be with your loading also dictates to this.
If you are loading to shoot paper, varmints, rodents and general shooting don't loose any sleep over it. If you are reloading strictly for compatition shooting start sorting and weighting brass.
Ken.

versifier
01-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, grizzspot.
About the only thing you need to look out for from a safety standpoint is if you are using military brass. Then, you will need to reduce your charges by 10% and work up slowly. They often have less capacity than commercial cases and with the same charge can increase the pressure dramatically, especially with max or near max loads.
I use a lot of range brass, and I don't usually bother to sort handgun brass. The minor differences don't show up at short ranges (at least not with me shooting). But, I do sort my rifle brass because there is often a noticable change in Point Of Impact (POI) with different brands. Group sizes often remain the same, but sometimes they do not. For plinking or deer hunting, 100-150yds, the practical difference is pretty much meaningless, but the longer the distance, the more the difference. A 2" shift in POI at 100yds translates to misses at 300 & 400 yard targets, or much worse, to wounded critters - an unacceptable situation.

Baldy
01-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I shoot .38/.357, .44spl , and .45acp and thats what I load for. For these calibers I use what ever I can get except Amerc it is junk. I shoot them till they split or I loose them. I don't shoot max loads with my guns either. I work on accuracy and not a big bang that hits nothing. I use all different brands and I don't worry about who makes it. Just don't use AMERC it is junk. Good luck.