PDA

View Full Version : OFF to the "Fence"

Oldbushman
01-27-2007, 12:45 AM
Well hopefully this Wensday I'm off to the Dingo proof fence again ! Better known a the Dog Fence it streches through South Australia & into Queens land for a distance of 4500kms (roughly twice the lenght of the great wall of China ) With the recent flooding up North it has been breached in several places along my section of it,so I have to get up there & repair & check for illegal entries of Dingos & either shoot ,Trap or bait them before they get into Sheep country !Oh the joys of being on the Gov payroll again :happy69: :happy69:

Dave

Robertbank
01-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Dave how far at a stretch do you have to cover. I have seen pictures of the roads (trails) along the fence and how long are you out for?

Take Care

Bob

Oldbushman
01-30-2007, 04:18 AM
I cover 1000kms & can be out for up to 6 weeks at a time this trip I'm hoping to be away for 8days as it's purely repair work at everal points where the the fence ha been damaged & to try & asitain how many dingos have slipped through & destroy as many as is possible ! I'll probarly go out for another 8 days at the end of the month & do a follow up ! Due to the expensnse of maintaining the Fence anually they've cut us right back ! The cost per Km is approx $14,000 Pa .

Dave

Robertbank
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Dave could you post some pictures of the fence and the area you work in?

Take Care

Bob

Oldbushman
02-12-2007, 03:10 AM
Dave could you post some pictures of the fence and the area you work in?

Take Care

Bob

I'm in the market for a camera at the moment Bob. Well this trip was a shambles ! I totaled 38 dogs but spent more time bogged than working & managed to put my back out ! As per normal the info I recived from the Inspectors was inaccurate ! :fighting72: ! They sent me out along the Old dog fence for reasons known only to them.

Dave

C1PNR
02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
HOLY COW!!! Government officials gave you inaccurate information! For Shame!!

Well, I hope you were at least paid for your time!

I'm sure you know that, here in the good ol' USofA, the Gov'ment NEVER gives out bad info!:roll: ;-)

Hope the back recovers quickly!

kodiak1
02-20-2007, 08:59 PM
C1PNR Here in Canada we had it better than the rest of the world for 13 years the Liberal Government Lied to us ALL THE TIME and we knew it so we didn't believe anything they said.

Well we did it to ourselves we voted in The Conservatives Last election (Minority) and they are trying to doeverything that they promissed. So now we are so confussed with a government that is trying to be truthful and prove it to us that we aren't sure if we should believee them at all?

Polititions hell you can't win with them at all. Could you imagine if you had to bet on them like at horse races! You don't know what politition to bet on.

I'm so confussed!!!!!

Ken.:fighting68:

Oldbushman
02-22-2007, 03:39 AM
HOLY COW!!! Government officials gave you inaccurate information! For Shame!!

Well, I hope you were at least paid for your time!

I'm sure you know that, here in the good ol' USA, the Government NEVER gives out bad info!:roll: ;-)

Hope the back recovers quickly!

The Hilarious Part was that I had a "Gov Expert" with me giving me directions of where he wanted me to go ! I said to him how Old are you Mate & got the answer of ..........22 ,Dave ! I explained to him that I'd been working the Fence ,since before he'd been Shitting Green & got told that he knew exactly where we had to go ! So being a Obedient Servant I followed his orders (Hey I was getting the same money whether I did my normal patrol or let him direct me to Tim-Buck -To )
I got a call yesterday from the Dept wanting to know exactly what went wrong & I was able with a clear conense ......State I was following orders:twisted:

Dave

C1PNR
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
The Hilarious Part was that I had a "Gov Expert" with me giving me directions of where he wanted me to go ! I said to him how Old are you Mate & got the answer of ..........22 ,Dave ! I explained to him that I'd been working the Fence ,since before he'd been Shitting Green & got told that he knew exactly where we had to go ! So being a Obedient Servant I followed his orders (Hey I was getting the same money whether I did my normal patrol or let him direct me to Tim-Buck -To )
I got a call yesterday from the Dept wanting to know exactly what went wrong & I was able with a clear conense ......State I was following orders:twisted:

Dave

Your situation reminds me so much of the newly minted, Academy graduate, 2nd Lieutenant that came to our Camp Pendleton, C Company, 1st Pioneer Battalion, 1st MAR DIV FMF one Summer.

We had a field exercise scheduled requiring the use of a Gin Pole (essentially 2 large trees cut to size, and a lot of rope and block and tackle) to help load and unload some very heavy cargo from our 5 Ton Dump Trucks. The object being to teach us how to handle very heavy loads, in the field, with out a crane or other material handling equipment.

Now our Gunny was an old hand at this and we figured to be done by lunch time and be ready to go on liberty a little early that afternoon. No Way!

The LT told the Gunny to step aside, he (LT) was going to run this one (they teach Engineering at the Academy, you know!):fighting58: Long story short, The base pole DID NOT cooperate and we spent the next week rebuilding a privately owned wooden water tank the the falling pole destroyed.:oops:

Oldbushman
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ! Nothing like a good education to try & out do experiance !

Dave