PDA

View Full Version : Need 444 Marlin bullets

seabreeze133
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I am the new guy and am looking for recommendations for 300 to 350 cast bullets for my new (to me) 444s Marlin. It's about 99.9 %. Don't know what twist it has as yet.

I would like to buy bullets to see what works best in my rifle, and get back into casting after 25 or so years off.

Last I used in that weight range was an NEI SSK 330 grain plain base which worked well in a Super Blackhawk. Gas check is good but not mandatory.

Looking for a hunting load for 100 to 150 yds for deer and most important want to try it at some LOOOONG range targets.

Any recommendations on velocities?

Thanks

Don

versifier
01-29-2007, 05:10 AM
Welcome, Seabreeze.
For a good selection of different weights and profiles of cast boolits in whatever size you prefer, check out Bullshop. (Go to the CastBoolits site and scroll down to the bottom of the page to their link.) If you ask over there under "Lever Guns", I am certain someone can tell you what the twist rate is - Bullshop would know too, Dan lives in Alaska and that is a popular rifle/chambering in his neck of the woods. Interestingly, My brother just bought a mint one a few months ago. After paying almost $30 for a box of factory ammo, he doesn't seem in any hurry to shoot it. I suspect he'll hang onto it for a year or two and resell it at a good profit as it's serious overkill for any game around here, and after pounding nails for thirty years, I don't imagine his shoulder is up to that recoil level. I think it would be a lot of fun to cast and load for. His has some really pretty wood on it, does yours?
As for good loads, we have a good crew here and I'm sure some of us will let you know what has worked for them. Let us know how you make out.