PDA

View Full Version : Need info on savage 24c

bsibjr
01-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I recently inherited an old savage model 24c, it's an over\under .22lr on top and
20ga on bottom, I'm looking for any info on this gun ( value, age ect).
Thanks.

Robertbank
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I got one too so I am going to follow this along with you. Mine has a blond stock.

Take Care

bob

bsibjr
01-29-2007, 11:48 AM
This was my grandfathers gun and I got it when he passed away, someone had already started to do work on it, they took the blueing off the barrel and reciever and also sanded the stock so id like to get this thing back together as origional as possible.

versifier
01-29-2007, 02:11 PM
They aren't famous for looking pretty, but they sure do shoot great. They are a workhorse, not a collector's item, but that doesn't mean you can get it looking spiffy, as long as you keep in mind that it didn't start life as a beauty queen. A nice matte finish on the stock would be more practical than the shiny one it came with, and a good blueing job never hurts. While it is at the smith's for blueing, have it d&t'd for a Williams peep sight - you will never regret it (or do it yourself if you're into it, you will need a bottoming tap along with the regular kind).

klausg
01-29-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm with versifier on these; not the prettiest gun in the safe, but mine sure shoots like it is. If you are trying to stay original, the receiver may have been case hardened, mine is a .222/20 ga and is case-hardened. As to value, look around gunbroker.com, or some of the other on-line sites, that will give you an idea as to what they are going for, the .22LR versions were/are probably the most common, not that I really think there is any collector value to the M24. Hope this helps.

-Klaus

bsibjr
01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, ill post pictures when its done.

BJ