PDA

View Full Version : Old powder

shootnJas
01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
O.K probably the million dallor question, but, my grandfather left me with all of his reloading gear and im glad. If not for that, I would have never gottin into reloading. He also left with me A lot of powders. Which my Grandmother assures me that they where kept dry.

Question: Does powder get old?

If so, how can I tell?
Very curious about this becouse ive got some powders that I dont think they even make anymore...

P.S. I couldnt resist and loaded some the other day (light laods) and shot great.

versifier
02-01-2007, 08:50 AM
As long as it has been stored properly, you shouldn't have any problems. Odd smells or color changes usually signal deterioration. I have used properly stored powders 30 & 40 years old without any trouble.

klausg
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Ditto to versifier's post, except I would add excessive "dust"; as in a big cloud of it when you pour the powder into your measure. The oldest stuff I had around was somewhat over 30, I finally used that up but never had any problems.

-Klaus

Baldy
02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
I just would not use it in my max loads but thats just me. If it has not been exposed to excessive heat and cold and has been kept dry, it should be fine.

shootnJas
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks alot, that makes me feel alot better.