PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 for Marlin 1895

inluvwithsara
02-09-2005, 11:40 AM
My Wife and her folks just gave me a 1895 for my B-day, just ordered my reloading dies for my dillon 550...any recomendations for a nice fun load???

CEO
02-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Sounds like your wife and her family are very nice people :)

I've never shot an 1895, or have information on it. I am sure there are some members of this place that should have some info on it.

I've got info on the 450 Marlin and .444 Marlin.

By the way, welcome to our site :D

vmt_hntr
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Son-in-law just got a new barrel for his T/C Encore Handcannon in..... wah lah.......45-70. No muzzle brake either!!.....we have to make a fore end for it and may go with a Laminated one........gonna add a scope too...........but to a fun load for the 45-70??.......why black powder of course!!!.....with 405 bullet.....should be fun for a couple shots.....hehehe.....an original load......... why not!!!!!!.......have smokeless data to make it work really well too.....let ya know later

blueavenger
02-11-2005, 05:41 PM
what powders you got floating around? h322, reloader7,imr3031,h4198 are some good ones. 300gr bullets give enough thump to start with. give me some powders and i will see what i can do. while black powder is novel, it is messy to clean. if you want the smoke and easy to clean , triple 7.

vmt_hntr
02-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Son-in-law and I got out to shoot this cannon today.....just a few rounds into the dirt backstop. Black powder was first.......what a 'blast'...hehe.....to shoot one of the original loads for this caliber, in a handgun. Next, were a few smokeless loads recommended for this beast....48.0 grs H-4895 under 405gr cast bullets. Recoil is brisk as to be expected, but controllable, in this no-muzzle-brake octagon barreled hand cannon. Loads to be shot later will be those that are for the 1895 Marlin and not as brisk as the loads for the Ruger #1, which are not recommended, using 300 grain Jacketed bullets. Needless to say, the black powder load was a real pussy cat compared to the smokeless load........but you wouldn't want to go plinkin' in an afternoon with either load.....hehehe :D

inluvwithsara
02-22-2005, 08:25 AM
300 grain lead bullet, 13 grains of Unique, a little wad of poly-fill to fill some of the empty case = fun fun fun...nice and light on the recoil...pretty accurate...I need to shorten the over all length of the cartridge for smoother feeding...but otherwise...ready to load a couple more boxes...