PDA

View Full Version : what is your favorite squirrel gun?

Bullshop Junior X2
03-15-2007, 10:25 PM
What is your favorite squirrel gun? and with what load.
My top favorite is one that when you aim you're fix'n never to see that squirrel ever agian :wink: !
It is my 6.5x55 with 85.0gn sierra varminter bullet with 41.0gn of IMR 3031! IT IS AWESOME!!:cool:
My second favorite is a 12 gauge, one problem with that though, when I shoot a squirrel with my 12 gauge I am fix'n too blow a squirrel and 5 or 6 limbs out of the tree!!!:fighting68:
(ITS FUN!!!:mrgreen:).
Tony

versifier
03-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I like a Ruger 10/22 with Williams peep sight, same sight as on my deer rifle. After a month of hitting squirrels with head shots, the deer seem HUGE, even at longer ranges.

dale clawson
03-17-2007, 01:33 PM
My favorite squirrel gun was a High Standard auto 22 rifle. Best shooting 22 rifle I ever owned. Haven't hunted squirrel since it was stolen 8 years ago. I have taken care of a few apple thieves and bird feeder robbers with my shotgun since. Dale

Bullshop Junior X2
03-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I like a Ruger 10/22 with Williams peep sight, same sight as on my deer rifle. After a month of hitting squirrels with head shots, the deer seem HUGE, even at longer ranges.

versifier,
Since I don't have a 10/22 , I like my 6.5. I only have two 22s, I have a Ruger 77/22 22 Hornet and a old Savage arms model 3 single shot 22 LR. I've never in my life owned a semi auto in any caliber.
Tony

versifier
03-18-2007, 05:35 AM
I got a great deal on it 30+ years ago and must have put 10,000 rounds through it. As long as I clean it regularly it functions flawlessly. It just becomes a part of my arm when I lift it to shoot. I don't think I've ever had a rifle that fits me better. This one has the "fancy" walnut stock with actual checkering and no barrel band, and it's quite accurate with none of the aftermarket do-dads that are so popular now. It has certainly taken its share of tree rats over the years.

For indoors, in the attic, we used a .410 with the shot replaced with uncooked rice. The cat would act like a bird dog after the shot as he liked his food still warm. We used to call it "oriental squirrel".