PDA

View Full Version : minnesota

blueavenger
02-10-2005, 09:20 AM
minnesota born, like to target shoot. discovered Savage rifles and now rebarrel myself instead of buying a new rifle wehn the bug to change calibers gets me. dredging sand in the summer pays for my habits.

CEO
02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Welcome to gunloads!

What do you think the difficulty level is on rebarreling a gun? Is it easy to learn and do? I wouldnt mind putting up a little tutorial on the site about doing such.

blueavenger
02-11-2005, 08:47 AM
all guns require you to set the headspace. (distance between the bolthead and barrel) then you buy a short chamber barrel, (most of the work done) you have to have a barrel vise to hold the barrel and something to turn the reciver to tighten up the barrel. then you fimish ream the chamber with a $50+ reamer to finish the job. always the chance you need a lath to add a few thousants to the threads to bring the barrel up to the bolt head.
enter Savage@. the barrel is locked to the reciver with a lock nut. $20- wrench and a deadblow hammer, couple wood blockes with a hole drilled between them and a bench vice. clamp the barrel in the vice. put the wrench on the nut and hit with the hammer. couple blows and the nut is loose, unscrew the barrel. savage is the only barrel that in conpleatly threaded and chambered. thread the new barrel into the reciver. usinr a go gauge or a resized case, turn the barrel up to a slight resistance. and lock the nut. all done! you have a differen caliber for as little as $100 and can always go back to the old barrel. in load data books you may notice savage is used a lot, this is why.

kodiak
02-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Hello blueavenger
Welcome

vmt_hntr
02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
With bluavenger in Minnesota and Kodiak in Missouri, puts me almost in the middle. Hi fellers.........hope we can share a bit of info from time to time on a host of subjects. Will be willing to share what I've picked up over time, if the right question is asked. :D