PDA

View Full Version : a lie

dale clawson
03-26-2007, 09:11 PM
There doesn't seem to be a lot of posting here, except that wierd one by gabbie, so I thought I'd tell you a lie. It doesn't originate from me, but from an old cowboy named John Shick, who hailed from my home town. He was a member of the Professional Liars Club of America and won awards for his lies in national contests. Many of his lies were published in a book. He told this one to me personally in the early 60's.
" I left town and headed for home one fall on my horse Little Brown Jug. It wasn't long before I looked to the Northwest and saw a Blue Norther coming. I saw that I was going to have to hurry if I beat it home, so I put Jug into a long lope. The Norther was gaining, so I laid the leather to him for the last mile. We made the barn just as that Norther struck, Jug was half in the barn and half out. The lather on his back half turned to ice!
As I made my way to the house, I noticed that our dirt tank was covered in ducks. We'd been in an extended drought and this was the only open water for miles. I thought I'd slip down there in the morning and get some ducks for dinner. About daylight the next day, I sneaked over the dam with my double barrel and as you couldn't see water for all the ducks, I gave them both barrels right in the middle. Well, they commenced flappin, but just sat there. Then I realized that they were frozen in the ice by that sudden Norther. Then they flew off with all my stock water!"

k-g
03-28-2007, 03:38 AM
I knew the story, yes.
As a matter of fact, they flew just bah mah hous! Yes!
I shot at them with mah Stevens and the ice fell in little cubes in bags I had laid there... I latter sold it to the store who had ran out cause of the drought....

Oldbushman
03-28-2007, 04:36 AM
sounds like a Chap I know who claims he used to buy Disused Wells & Bores ! He claims he used to cut them into 2ft lenghts & sold them as Post holes,for Fences

Dave

dale clawson
03-28-2007, 09:01 PM
They say Edgar Davis of Davis oil Co. got into the business by getting a job digging post holes on the halves. Stacked his half up and made an oil well out of them. Dale:happy13:

Oldbushman
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
:shock: :lol:

dale clawson
04-01-2007, 01:00 PM
As there is not much activity here, I'll pass along another lie related to me personally by John Shick.
"I was cowboying up in Wyoming in my younger days, and considered myself quite a hand with a rope. One day out on the open prarie I saw something moving across the plain, which upon closer inspection proved to be a very large grizzly bear. It was the first one I had ever seen, so I studied it for a spell. Then I was struck with a sudden bolt of inspiration, I'd just rope it and drag it back to the bunkhouse to show all the boys, else they'd never believe me. I shook out a loop and double halfhitched it to my saddle horn for the long drag home. I put Little Brown Jug after the bear. He put me up on him nicely and I dabbed it on him, jerked out the slack, and slid Jug to a stop to jerk Mr. Bear into submission. That ol' bear was some heavier than I thought and did most of the jerking that was done. Then he reared up on his hind legs and came up that rope hand over hand! I couldn't untie the rope with the pressure on it, so was finally forced to bail out and run, which I accomplished really well for a short legged cowboy.
As I ran I thought "poor old Jug, that bear will eat him shore". About that time I heard a horse running an was very relieved to think that Jug had somehow gotten away. I looked around and what did I see but that the bear had got hisself up in the saddle, built hisself a loop and was after me!" Dale:p

MT Gianni
04-04-2007, 06:46 AM
My absolute favorite was posted by waksupi on the cast board. At a Mountain Man shoot a number of years ago someone brought a rookie friend. He did ok at the shoots and tomahawk throws and looked like he would fit in. Then they moved to a liars contest to finish out the weekend. As the newbie he had to go first. He said "fella's I can't think of any thing so I'm bound to tell you the truth. I've got 5 flashlights and 3 brother-in -laws and they all work." The rest of the crowd hung their hats, kicked the dirt and just left with one mumbling S.O.B. ringer, under his breath. They all knew they couldn't top that one. Gianni.