PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hornet

Nebraska34
04-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I am currently working up loads for my 22 Hornet. I have H110 and Lil'Gun for powders and Hornady 35 gr V-max bullets. I have loaded 12.3 grs of h110 and seamed to have OK groupings, but 13 grs of lilgun produced a three shot half inch group.

I have two questions I guess. Do any of you have any other loads, powder bullet combo's that I should try? Also the loads that I made with H110 are a lot higher pressure load than the ones that I made with Lilgun, but the brass for the Lil'gun loads grew consistantly five thousandths more than the higher pressure loads. Any ideas of why this would happen?

versifier
04-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Sierra makes Hornet bullets in two sizes (.223 & .224) and two weights (40 & 45gr). Also try AA#9 and Win 296, powders at each end of the burning rate of appropriate powders. Both your choices are right in the middle and your rifle may prefer something faster or slower.
I have no clue why the lighter Lil'Gun load is causing your brass to increase in length more than the heavier H110 load. If no one here has an answer for you, ask next door at Cast Boolits. The Hornet is known for being challenging to load for.

Nebraska34
04-02-2007, 05:16 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. The challenge of reloading the Hornet is part of the reason that I purchased the gun. I can waiste a lot of hours setting at the reloading bench. I shouldn't say it that way, it is not a waiste, just good fun.

acpchuck
04-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I have been reloading for my Hornet (Ruger #3) for over 25 years. Have tried about every powder and bullet combination out there. It wasn't until Lil-Gun came on the market that I found a powder that gave me the velocity I wanted and the accuracy I was seeking. I currently use Remington cases (they have the most case capacity), CCI BR4 primers, Nosler 40 gr BTs and about as much powder as I can get in the case (around 13.8 grains for neck sized previously fired brass).

My Ruger seems to have an oversized chamber that gave me all sorts of grief when I first reloaded for it and full length sized the brass. After 3 reloads, my cases were separating. Now I just neck size (Lee collet dies) and brass lasts a long, long time even with the over sized chamber which now gives me a little extra powder capacity.

Some people recommend using pistol primers but I found they didn't improve my groups. Have also read that a light crimp (Lee factory crimp die) can help as the Hornet case can be inconsistent on neck tension because the brass is so thin. Have the die but have not tried it yet.

Can't say why your cases are stretching but would go with the powder that performs best then trim as necessary. I would recommend using a 40 gr Vmax, Nosler BT or Sierra Blitz King as their BC is much better for longer shots.

Love my Hornet. It is my favorite P-dog gun as the recoil is so mild that you can see your shots and it doesn't heat the barrel much with lots of shooting. I have effectively taken P-dogs out to 200 yards with it.

Good luck and let us know what you find works in your gun.