PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rods

DeanoBeanCounter
04-08-2007, 02:36 PM
8) This might start a fight. :fighting68: Which metal cleaning rod do you use, prefer to use, or should you use. And WHY! There's aluminum, brass, and steel I know. Steel doesn't leave traces behind but puts wear on the barrel. Aluminum doesn't wear the barrel but leaves behind traces. And brass is a compromise between steel and aluminum. Any thoughts on this?
Deano :cool:

versifier
04-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I have always used aluminum for reasons of economy, and I have tried to minimize problems with them by wiping them carefully every patch change. But, I did have a mil issue M16 steel rod that packed up small. I was always paranoid using it, though. I just broke with tradition this years and bought a Tipton coated rod and sets of brushes and jags to fit it. Now it's much easier to find the size I need without digging for gold in the plastic bag that holds forty years collection of them. I use Bore Snakes in the field.

k-g
04-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I didn't feel too good about the steel ones and their weak brushes; so I bought expensive plastic coated Parker Hale rods and watched the plastic being torn off at the barrels mouths (that's steel under the plastic).
I still have the pistol rod with a few brass brushes; they are real man's tools, if you really feel like removing lead with a brush...

Now I'm using wood stakes I buy at the hardware/gardening store. I don't use brushes but wrap the rods with cloth or paper towels. They give me a better feeling as they are in one piece. But that wasn't the question... :mrgreen:

kg

Tom W.
04-15-2007, 08:53 PM
I was using aluminum rods until one snapped off in my Weatherby.That was a sick feeling.:shock: I have since changed to a stainless steel rod by Pro Shot Products.
I'm still looking for a rod that will work with both my 15 inch Encore in 30/06, and my 9 1/2 inch Super Redhawk in .480.
What do you think of the carbon fiber rods?

klausg
04-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Bama- I use the Tipton carbon fiber rods; I have two, both are rifle rods (36"). My only complaint with them is that they tend to flex a bit more than I'm used to. Of course that may be that I'm actually now using the right jags. I have not tried their shorter pistol length rods as I bought a Dewey before I saw these, that one is coated; not sure what's under the plastic, but I suspect it's steel. That rod gives yeoman service from .32 H&R to .45 ACP, though my barrels aren't quite as long as yours.

Tom W.
04-21-2007, 06:12 PM
I've been using the ramrod from my smokepole to do the .480 with.....I think it's a tad too long!

dale clawson
04-22-2007, 01:11 PM
I think that many guns are killed by overcleaning, not by the type of rod used. With some care in cleaning from the breech, if possible, and cleaning only when the accuracy begins to suffer or is anticipated to due to an upcoming extended session on targets or varmits, a barrel will outlast you or will go bad due to flame cutting or such. Rub a steel cleaning rod on a piece of mild steel and see how much effort it takes to inflict damage. In the case of BP or corrosive ammo, cleaning is necessary after every session. But with modern arms and ammo, constant cleaning is unnecessary and can be detrimental to accuracy, as in the case of my Savage 243 which needs 8 or 10 rounds through it to settle down and shoot where I am looking. Just an oily patch through the barrel and then a dry one to remove the oil before the next session is all it wants for a couple hundred rounds or more. We wore out some M1 Garands in the national guard by cleaning them once a month, even though we only fired them once a year, just to keep us busy. I hate to think of how much wear we put on our 155 howitzers by cleaning them each month and then putting them out in the weather to rust and get dusty so we could shine them up the next drill.
Just my dos centavos, DALE

kodiak1
04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
A Kit that has Steel rods and does all Calibers.
This one gets used at the range when needed.
At home hava an assortment of Dewey Rods. Nice and long and coated.
Ken.

Tony Gable
05-07-2007, 12:05 AM
To any and all,

Please give me your opinions on the Bore Snake. Is it just for a quick wipe down of the barrel or a good overall cleaning. I was taught the old fashion way. Solvent, brush and patch.

Tony

P.S. I like my FRIENDS to be nice and squeaky clean.

versifier
05-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Tony,
Boresnakes are good for a quickie cleaning, but they do not do a really thorough job, except on a pistol barrel like a Glock with polygonal rifling. They don't get into the corners of the grooves. For me, they are a must-have item when hunting, and they have saved more than one day afield when the muzzle went into mud or snow.

When I am done load testing a gun, know I won't shoot it for a while, or I'm going to sell or store it, then it gets put in the gun vise and completely cleaned the good old fashioned way. If brushes, patches, jags, and four or five different solvents don't do the job, then I go the electronic route, but not often.

versifier
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I forgot to mention that there is a thread about Boresnakes over on Reloaders Guide forum with all kinds of input and info about them.