PDA

View Full Version : shuh

blueavenger
02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
can't hear my self think in here with the echo.
i like to spend as much time as i can at the range trying different hand loads and wearing out barrels. .220 swift is my favorite, i have 3. also a .223 and .223 ackley improved. hunting is mostly varmints and targets of oppertunity. haven tried it yet but heard recently a rabbit and owl decoy with a rabbit squeal makes a great crow set up.

edit- tried havin Comp, Target in poll but it did not show.

CEO
02-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Not sure why the other poll option didnt work. Forum software still might be a bit buggy.

I love shooting .223s. Nice plinkers for ground squirrels, birds and such. I've never hunted crows before, so I would be new to that. It's actually illegal to shoot crows around here. I believe in all of Idaho it is. But if a stray bullet went a crows way, I wouldnt feel too bad :D

blueavenger
02-11-2005, 08:29 AM
we have a season on them, and are allowed to shoot them out of season if they are about to do damage. good scope let you see the intended mallice in there eyes. LOL

CEO
02-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I wish we had a season on those darn pests. I'd love to see what a 220 Grain Round Nose 300 weatherby bullet would do to one. :twisted:

onesonek
02-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I really love biggame hunting, but I have more time and oppritiunity hunting varmints.
The 220 Swift verses "ditch tigers" is a blast. :wink: (no pun intended)
Minnesota has a season on crows, along with the "fine print" in the Regs.,
which reads "when they are doing or about to do damage".
Thankyou very much DNR
There are a feew wood chucks around. Also, the Robertson's ground sguirrels are plentiful targets.
Big game here is pretty much limited to Whitetails, and Black Bear.
There Is a Moose season most every other year. But drawing a tag, is right up there with winning the PowerBall! :(
Dave

DeputyAl
03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
California's laws on the taking of crows make zero sense. In the late 1970's, UC Berzerkly-based junk science caused them to be listed as a protected songbird. Things changed about 10-12 years ago--now there is a season--and a bag limit--and an area of the state where the hunting is prohibited year-round. Naturally, I live in that area. This same no-shoot area encompasses the Mojave Desert, where the habitat takeover by crows (1500% increase since 1980) has caused the numbers of desert tortoises to plummet. Crows consider them a delicacy. Very not good.

That said, crows are a fascinating species to observe. They have the intelligence of a small dog, and have learned what a shotgun looks like in the hands of a hunter and avoid such persons reflexively. However, they have little regard for rifles, and seem to be oblivious to their presence. Many is the time I have been sighting my scoped 223's, 22-250's, 243's on a jackrabbit or other lawful target of oppurtunity in the Eastern Mojave, only to have a crow suddenly perch right in the middle of my line of sight--disturb the aforementioned target image--and receive the effects of a 52 grain Matchking, 60 grain HP, or 85 grain Nosler BT. Quite by accident, I assure you--and it is strange how a species so savvy at avoiding the "shotgun interface" with humans could be so dense when it comes to rifles. It's one of those Mysteries Of The Natural World we may never have the answer to.

The effects of these bullets on the crows so taken is immediate and dramatic--crow part distribution, with feathered fireworks. There's no counting the numbers of jackrabbit lives saved in this fashion by the common crow.