PDA

View Full Version : case trimmers ?

Nebraska34
04-15-2007, 04:31 PM
hey guys I am in the market for a new case trimmer set up. I currently have a Lyman. I am hoping to upgrade. The Lyman does its job but it has its problems too. Just wondering what brands/models you guys use and what ones you would suggest I look into.

I am also thinking of purchasing a Chronograph. If any of you have any input about them I would also appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

kodiak1
04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
I use a Forresters it has done what I wanted of it but trimmers have been upgraded lots in the last 15 years.
Would I up date mine No it srill cuts brass I know most of it's little quirks and it keeps my life exciting.
Good luck:animal01:
Ken

versifier
04-15-2007, 07:09 PM
What cases are you having trouble with? I have been using a Lyman for 20 years and the only cases I have had problems with were .30carbine. Other than that, I love it - Much, much better than the RCBS it replaced - I turned that into a hollow pointer for loaded rounds.

Nebraska34
04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
I am not having trouble with any one case. My brother and I share a reloading set up. He just got a new place and wants to take his trimmer there. So I am in the market for a trimmer to replace the one he took. The Lyman has done OK by us. The set screws on the adjustment collar are stripping out and we are going to have to find replacements. I just figure if I am going to buy a replacement I had better see if there is an upgrade out there.

versifier
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
If you have to do any fancy work like reforming and need neck reaming or turning, Forster has a good selection of different length trimmers with interchangable attachments, including hollow pointers. If I were buying new, I'd probably go that way. Dillon makes really good high volume trimmers, but they are case specific and that's an expensive route unless you have thousands to trim at a sitting. I really like the universal case holder on the Lyman for its versatility, but maybe would consider upgrading it to the drill-powered cutter shaft. The only problem I have ever had with it was a batch of .30carb cases that had been fired in a mil carbine. I resized them for my Contender and had to trim 300 of them. They kept jumping out of the case holder. They were the smallest headed cases I have used it for, never an issue with many, many thousands of other larger ones.

Nebraska34
04-16-2007, 02:00 PM
yeah between the two of us my brother and I have probably trimmed five thousand plus cases with this Lyman. I just figured maybe I was missing out on something with another brand. I think for the money the Lyman is a pretty good deal. The universal shell holder is nice. Lots of others use shell holders like the Hornady that I am eye balling.

Do you have any experience with the power unit attachment for the Lyman. I have a dewalt rechargable screw driver that I think would be perfect for that set up? It is pretty easy to ware out your arm when you set down to trim and debur 300 cases.

versifier
04-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes, I know someone with the power attachment, he runs it with a battery powered drill. For chamfering and deburring, the little unit in their case care kit is great - does both jobs at once.

dale clawson
04-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I have a Lyman trimmer with attachments for neck reaming, but it gets little use since I began using Lee case trimmers. I use a cordless drill to power it and find it to be much faster for trimming to length and I can use a plastic pot scrubber to shine the case while spinning it , then chamfer case mouth with a chamfer tool.
It's the fastest way I've found short of the expensive RCBS case prep tool. Dale

Tony Gable
05-07-2007, 12:25 AM
As far as case trimmers go I use a RCBS trimmer for my 06 and my 7mm mag. Kind of a pain in the butt. For the .223 and the .243 I use the Lee hand held trimmer.
The Lee trimmer seems to be faster and easier to use. I can get a good feel for the amount of brass I'm trimming. It may take a couple of measurements to get the brass where I want it , but i always get it within .001 of where i want it. I am going to buy one each for the 06 and the 7mm. They also don't leave that ribbon of brass inside the case neck.

Tony