PDA

View Full Version : Question

Nebraska34
04-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Another couple question for you guys.

First I have a Remington 700 in 30-06. It functions fine with factory amo, but when I try to use reloads it will not chamber them. I full length resize them when I reload so I am kind of at a lose why it won't chamber them. Anyone have any ideas?

Second I have purchased a Browning Pump Rifle in 308 and plan on working up some loads for it. I have not purchased the dies yet and was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions, or warnings of things to look out for when loading for a pump rifle or purchasing dies for it?

Thanks for any info.

dale clawson
04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Were the empty brass fired in the rifle you are using them in? If not they may have been fired in a rifle at the long end of specs, or out of spec, on headspace, and the current rifle may be on the short side of specs. Try a resized empty brass to see if it will chamber. What press did you resize in? What dies? FL or neck size dies? Did you screw the resize die down to contact the shell holder firmly? DALE PS the pump rifle may require a small base(SB) die due to less camming power to close on the round. This will work the brass more, and will shorten case life, but may be necessary for dependable function.

DeanoBeanCounter
04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
:roll: A chambering problem I had with my Marlin lever 30-30 was I found out I was crimping to hard. Works just fine now. :)
Deano

Nebraska34
04-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Were the empty brass fired in the rifle you are using them in? If not they may have been fired in a rifle at the long end of specs, or out of spec, on headspace, and the current rifle may be on the short side of specs. Try a resized empty brass to see if it will chamber. What press did you resize in? What dies? FL or neck size dies? Did you screw the resize die down to contact the shell holder firmly? DALE PS the pump rifle may require a small base(SB) die due to less camming power to close on the round. This will work the brass more, and will shorten case life, but may be necessary for dependable function.

I have an RCBS press and hornady FL dies. The die was in contact with the shell holder and the shells were fired from the remington 700 I am talking about. That is why this makes no sense to me.

Thanks for the info on the pump. I thought that might be the case. I don't have any experience with reloading for a pump rifle but I got the chance to pick up the Browning pump pretty cheap and thought it would be a neat addition to the collection.

dale clawson
04-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Have you tried chambering a resized, empty case? Have you checked the overall length of the cases? DALE

Nebraska34
04-18-2007, 04:46 AM
I have not tried chambering an empty resized case I don't have one yet. But I will next time that I go to the range. OAL is 3.230. That is what Hornady suggested. I will let you know as soon as I try the empty case.

Thanks a lot

versifier
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
When you attempt to chamber the rounds that won't go, are there marks on the bullet from the rifle's lands? This would indicate too great an OAL, but you did not tell us what bullet (weight & profile) you are loading. If you applied too heavy a crimp, you should be able to see or measure a bulge in the case's neck. You can also color the entire cartridge, case & bullet, with a black marker and attempt to chamber it. You will see immediately where the problem is by where the ink has rubbed off. Careful measurements of the cartridge's dimensions compared to a factory round may also tell you what you need to know. The rifle may have a really tight chamber and require a small base sizer, but that is very unusual (though not unheard of) in a bolt action. The problem is solvable if approached one step at a time. First diagnosis, then modification of tools or technique.

As to your new pump action Browning, any decent dies by the big name makers will do. You may not need an SB sizer, try an unloaded FL sized case in it first and see if it will chamber and eject without binding. If it does, then you won't need to spend the extra money on the SB die. Many pumps, levers, and semi-autos do need them, but some do not, and a very few function well with neck sized cases. You can only find out by trying them.

If you aren't already, I highly recommend crimping as a separate operation for all rifle cases, and I really like Lee Factory Crimp dies. They are inexpensive and no one else makes anything that can compete with them.

k-g
04-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Is the shell holder from Hornady too? Might be too thick otherwise...

Have you checked the chamber for unidentified hiding objects since you shot the factory ammo?

Bullshop Junior X2
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Is the shell holder from Hornady too? Might be too thick otherwise...
Thats what I'm thinking too, shellholder too thick.
Or, your bullets might not be seated in enough:confused:.

Nebraska34
04-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Problem solved. My seating depth was the problem. Versifier's comment on marks on the bullet is what got me to the solution.

Thanks everyone for the info and help. Great to have a site to come to and ask questions when needed.

I adjusted seating depth and seated the bullet in farther and farther till problem went away. Don't know where I got off because the depth that I had them seated was what the Hornady site suggested. Chamber in my rem must be shorter than usual. Anyway fixed the problem with my loads and the gun groups pretty well.

Thanks again.

klausg
04-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Nebraska-
A shorter leade can be a blessing, unless you like really heavy bullets. As a rule of thumb, I get my best accuracy from bullets seated a few thousandths off the lands, which can be problematic with a really long leade. To make setting up my seating die a little easier, I make up a dummy round for each bullet. Once I find the 'magic' seating depth make up your dummy and write the bullet brand/weight on the case w/a laundry marker, it wastes a bullet, but it does beat messing around with your calipers everytime you switch bullets. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we all had to at one time. Take care

-Klaus

versifier
04-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I have an old 7x57 Argie I picked up for next to nothing last fall with a decent bore but dismal accuracy. It has just the opposite problem, excess leade. I started out with jacketed bullets at recommended OAL and got shotgun patterns instead of groups. Over the winter, I cleaned it thoroughly: solvents, brushing, then electronic bore cleaner. I bout the Lee 7mm 130gr mould to see what would happen and cast up a bunch. I figured I would seat them as far out as the rifle would allow them to feed and chamber. With just the GC seated, it chambered but wouldn't feed, so I went down to the top of the first driving band and it fed and chambered without a snag. It looks odd, but reading about the original military loadings in COTW, I'm thinking that this one will prefer long heavy boolits. I will get down to the range and try these out some time this week. I am not encouraged as I was hoping it would like nice light, easy on the shoulder bullets, but I have a .30cal blank and may just rebarrel to .308x1.5" if it doesn't like the cast diet.