PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Buffalo

DeanoBeanCounter
05-24-2007, 08:02 AM
:happy13: Hears my chance to get a new rifle. I want and my wife wants me to get a bison (buffalo) hear in Utah. This herd in on Antelope Island in the middle of the Great Salt Lake. Does anyone have any sugestions on what caliber, bullet, and load would be good to take a buffalo? I have a 30-30 but that seems kind of whimpey. All sugestions are welcome. If and when I get one I hope I can find someplace to put all that meat.
Deano

klausg
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Deano,
Tough question, I guess it would depend on what else you want to do with the rifle, and how deep your pockets are. IIRC, my Dad took his bison with his .375 H&H, but he already had that rifle from a previous Africa trip. I wouldn't feel undergunned with say one of those new Ruger Hawkeyes in .358 Win?? That would make a dandy elk rifle, (I'm looking for an excuse to buy one of those myself). In short, I'd want to be flinging at least 200 grains of lead at a reasonable clip. Hope this narrows your search.

-Klaus

kodiak1
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
45-70 Has and would do the trick.
It is like klausg stated above how deep are the pockets and what did you have in mind. 30-30 would do the trick if you were lose enough and placed a good shot.
Good luck on the hunt. Ken