PDA

View Full Version : Help- need 45 long colt load

TUCKERDOG
06-28-2007, 07:05 PM
First day at this reloading stuff and I am already stumped. I have a complete Lee loader, Hodgdon HS-6 powder and a bag of 45 Cal 225 grain Size .452 all lead bullets (flat top) made by Grand Master.

I was told these could be used in either the 45 ACP or the Long Colt but cannot find the correct min and max load for the Long Colt anywhere on line using the HS-6 powder I purchased.

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated! :) :) :)

Thank You,

Dale Allen

Maybe one of these days when I get some experience under my belt Ill be able to answer a question for someone in the same boat as me.

versifier
06-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the forum, Dale.
The Hodgdon website lists 250gr cast loads with HS-6 from 9.0-10.5gr. This data can be safely used with a 225gr boolit, and ought to give you velocities between 800 - 1000fps, (on the low end of the table velocity-wise). Are you looking for a target load or a hunting load? Other powders you might want to try are Unique (target), BlueDot (both), and 296(hunting). BDOT & 296 might prefer magnum primers. Let us know how you make out.

TUCKERDOG
06-29-2007, 11:57 AM
First, thanks for the quick response to my question. As I started using the Lee Turret I have a few more. I set the dial for 7.6 grams and my scale weighs 10.1. The yellow scoop they provided says 7cc's and its full with a little 1/5 left over. Is a cc a gram? Should I follow the scale or the scoop. I followed all the scales instructions setting it to 0 ect but it looks like it weighs about 1.5 to two grams more than whats marked on the disk each time. 9.0 weighed almost eleven. If the scoop is 7 grams I'll double check everything with that before I go on.

I did manage to load one complete round. It's beautiful!! But my wife just doesn't understand.

Thanks, Dale Allen

versifier
06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
First off, the scale measures in grains, not grams. Really big difference between the two. Before I get into powders and volumes, let's back up a few steps. What loading manuals do you have?

k-g
06-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Get rid of the wife, the scale will start dealing with reality (sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:)

And don't shoot that first round you loaded, mark it to make sure of that.

Now seriously I agree with Versifier that I'd rather be watching over your shoulder for a step by step procedure, but that's what we've got... So here are a few thoughts, please don't hesitate to ask for clarifications:

cc means cubic centimeter, just a measure by volume.
The LEE instructions you got with your measure should give you approximate weights in grains for given numbers of cc's. That weight by cc will vary with each powder.

Are you working in grains or grams? Versifier's loads are in grains, and I don't think that case can take more than a couple of disastrous grams but I'd rather check.

By the word "dial" should I guess that you have the Perfect Powder Measure from LEE? This measure is in cc's, but shouldn't, as it doesn't measure the same as the rest of LEE's tools; at least mine didn't, and didn't zero either.
You should treat that measure like any rotor measure: find the correct weight of powder by trial and errors, check several loads with your scale and note the graduation for reference (but always recheck that the delivered load is correct at the beginning of each reloading session).

If you have the AutoDisk, pick the cc cavity which seems to give you the appropriate weight of powder, and check several loads as the cavities fill better with the vibrations of a "working" bench. If the load is not what you want of course try an other cavity.
Again it is best to recheck the load delivered by the measure at the beginning of a reloading session, specially if you have several calibers and cavities in use.
The table given by LEE for the AutoDisk is fairly accurate and usually on the heavy side but it is best to check.

About the scale, make sure it is not moving around the bench, and that there is no breeze of any kind affecting it. I set mine flush with the edge of a table (not the bench) for consistency. Also make sure that the beam doesn't drag somewhere and check several loads.

Are you in the States? Do you have new pennies you could weight? Someone here could do the same and make sure that scale is accurate.

kg

TUCKERDOG
07-17-2007, 06:56 PM
All of you guys are Great! I took all of your advice and just finished loading my 500th round of 45 LC.

No explosions, lots of saftey and double checks. I really appreciate all of your help,

Dale Allen