PDA

View Full Version : inline loads?

newsmokepole64
07-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I got a inline 1-28 twist for christmas and won 2 tags in fall lotery and now have to get me some loads worked up for it shooting sabots. went to range the other day (7/4/07) and set off my own fireworks!! best load I could get was 85gr Pyro RS measured under a Hornady sst 250gr in a harvester ribbed sabot. chrono stated 1620 at muzzle. I was holding 1 1/4" at 100 yrds. was doing some mix and match shooting, it (gun) didn't seem to like the barnes 285gr expanders or the QT 300 gr slugs either. The Hornadys were real tight in the supplied sabots (MMP's?) so I swapped sabots. I input the data at Biggameinfo.com in the external balistic calculator and it should be a good 200yrd setup. I am a firm believer in accuracy over speed and am good at holding over. anyone have a favorite load?

versifier
07-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the forum nsp64,
Favorite loads? Only your rifle can tell you what it likes best, and it sounds like it already has. If it's doing 1.5" @ 100y, that's not bad at all, and better than you can do with many currently made centerfires. How much Pyrodex did you start with, and how heavy a load did you go up to?

Did you try pellets, too? They're a lot more convenient for hunting, but may not have a combination of weights that gives you the peak of your rifle's accuracy. Still, if accuracy is reasonable, the extra speed and convenience if you need a second shot is worth it. You could even load the most acurate weight of loose Pyrodex, and put a few pellet loads in carry tubes for if/when you need them.

I will generally give a try out to any new offerings on the market, but have pretty much settled on my own cast boolits in T/C loose sabots (Lee .45cal 220 RNHP in a .54 cal sabot) as they give me good accurracy out to as far as I can see clearly (maybe 125-150yds). You can custom size the boolit for optimum fit, too. T/C makes them in .50cal for .44 & .45 bullets/boolits. I shoot a traditional, so the pellets are useless for me, and I have switched to musket caps for better and more consistant ignition.