PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunters

SFT
07-09-2007, 12:05 AM
We got any here on the forum?

If so, whereabouts do you hunt? How often, what caliber, etc.?

Right now the dog days of summer (okay, the monsoon of summer down here in the Texas-OK territories) makes one think of the cooler days of fall. Anyone interested in planning on a hog hunt for the time in between the end of summer to before the start of deer season?

I know of several places in south Texas that would give good group rates for booking a future date(s). Most game ranches have it tough over the summer if they rely solely on hunters for their income, so booking a date early along with sending in a small deposit goes a long way towards getting the best hunting areas and star treatment during the hunt.

Just a thought I've thrown out here, as I've had to look far and wide for places that I can afford that aren't rip offs.

Let me know what ya'll think.
SFT

bigkev
08-20-2007, 02:06 PM
i hunted high adventure ranch last spring got a nice 348# hog ,useing 375jdj @48 yrds 1 shot 1 kill best eating pork i've had!! cost around 950$ including lodgeing,guid,them dragging it out,processing fee ,and frezzer bagged in commercial baggs. nice place we're going to trophy heaven this march to see what it's like? they have a couple package deals going with a hog&ram for 1400?+-.

ISME
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I hunt them here in the foothills of the Great Smokey Mountains. I use a lever .44 mag. or a .308. I back both up with a mod. 29 .44mag all loaded with hand loads. I haven't needed the S&W yet but, better safe than sorry.:D

shooter39629
09-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Hello,
I have been hunting hogs since a teenager with gun, bow and dogs. We use the dogs to bay the hogs and catch them to grow out to eat. My favorite hog gun is a 35 remington marlin.

dale clawson
11-08-2009, 12:53 PM
We generally hunt hogs at night using a spotlight (legal here). The hogs are almost exclusively nocturnal. Their eyes do not shine as do deer , coyotes etc., making them harder to find. They are considered non game animals and are not regulated as to seasons or bag limits, but you do need a hunting license to shoot anything but targets.

mikefrompa
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I have never hunted hogs. I live in Pa. There are several places to hunt hogs here, but of course they are on a hunting preserve. I will be using mt S&W 460 or my BFR 454. Any advice ?

Cgull
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
I hunt on a lease near Falfurrias Texas with plenty of deer and hogs as well as the river bottoms of Arkansas. I have shot hog with both rifle and bow, choosing the bow over rifle most of the time.