PDA

View Full Version : 7mm wsm loads????

motersickle
09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
I am looking for a good starting point to develop some hunting loads for a 7MM WSM. I want to shoot a 150 grain nosler partition because I already have some for a different rifle. I would also like to use RE15, RE 19 or 4064 if possible. The gun will be a Winchester Model 70 with a hunting barrel. If anyone can give me a good starting point I would appreciate it.
Thanks

versifier
09-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Of your three choices, Sierra lists only RE19 with a 150gr bullet:
60.0 @ 2800, 62.0 @ 2900, 64.0 @ 3000, 66.0 @ 3100 MAX
For more info, I would try the websites of powder companies and bullets.

motersickle
09-13-2007, 06:33 AM
thanks for the info and the welcome. I am new to reloading(6months). Can I safely go by bullet weight of other style bullets when trying to find the lowest starting loads as long as i use the same powder. again thanks for the info.

versifier
09-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Yes, you can. You always need to be watching your fired cases for signs of high pressure as you go up in charge, even with the listed bullet. Every rifle is different and the test rifle may or may not reach max load at the same level as yours.
In case you do not already know, those signs are in increasing order of danger:
1. Flattened primers - Indicates MAX for your rifle, always a good idea to back off one increment for safety.
2. Cratered primers (Brass of the primer cup flows around the end of the firing pin and into the firing pin hole) - Indicates OVER MAX. This is not as high as a proof load, but much more than is good for your rifle to be shooting. Pull the bullets, don't shoot them. You run the risk of a pierced or blown primer, not good.
3. Difficulty in opening action/extraction. WAY OVER MAX. STOP IMMEDIATELY. Pull the bullets.
Just because the charge table you are using lists a certain load as MAX with the test rifle, that does not mean your rifle will agree. Often, a rifle will begin to show excess pressure signs below that level. Sometimes a rifle can go over the listed MAX with no signs of a problem, too, but that doesn't mean it is a safe practice to load and shoot at that level.