PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum + few questions

joeddox
09-13-2007, 04:48 AM
Hi I've just move to New Mexico from Massachusetts.

I'm buying my first 12ga shotgun and came across a mec 600 jr. I was wondering how hard is it to reload your own shells. I know I need primers, wads, shot, shells, and powder. I've seen a few videos on youtube and it doesn't look that difficult. The only thing I'm wondering is how do you measure out the powder or does the machine "MEC 600 Jr. Mark 5" do it for you?

What are the brushings for? Powder I'm guessing?
How much money if any do you save loading your own shells?
How hard is it for beginner?

versifier
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi Joe,
Welcome to the forum and my warmest congratulations on your escape from Massachusetts. I made it out alive in 1977, headed north, and have been a happy gun owner ever since.
As to your questions, the machine does the measuring, and the bushings determine the volume of powder that is dispensed. You can also buy an adjustable charge bar if you want to use powders the volumes of whose charges are not workable with the available bushings. (Lee has a similar system for measuring rifle and pistol charges called the Auto-Disk.)
Loading is not rocket science, but there is a lot of information you need to know, and individual processes that have to be understood. Every machine is different, but the MEC machines have been in use for many years and have an excellent reputation. (I only load rifle and pistol cartridges, but I have helped out with loading shotshells on a number of occasions when extra pairs of hands were needed, so I am familiar - not an expert - with how they work.) Specific questions about operation of MEC's and other shotshell loading presses should be asked in the shotgun section and will be happily answered by any or all with the requisite experience. It is always best and easiest if there is someone local who can show you about setup and operation for the first few sessions, but if you have to wing it alone, that's one of the reasons we're here.

kodiak1
09-13-2007, 02:56 PM
joe welcome aboard, You do some reading and you will do just fine with that mec.
Ken.

joeddox
09-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Shotgun shells are just as hard to setoff while not in a gun as other ammo correct? I know my girlfriend will be asking this questions. But I've never handled ammo for a shotgun before.

Also do I have to buy special primers that match my shotgun or is it once size fits all?

I have a Saiga 12.

Thanks.

versifier
09-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Correct. No safety issues, other than the obvious one of storing it separately and securely away from firearms in case of theft or inquisitive children. I store all loaded ammo and primers in airtight ammo cans, but that is to protect it from changes in humidity. There is no danger involved in storing ammo, unless you drop a heavy can of it on your foot. :p
With shotshell primers, one size fits all, but different brands may affect patterns positively or negatively. Fairly simple, especially compared with rifles and pistols, where you get eleven (if I counted correctly) different kinds in four sizes and many different brands on top of that, as if it already isn't confusing enough. :confused:

joeddox
09-14-2007, 06:06 PM