PDA

View Full Version : wd 40 in barrel of b.p. guns i

testhop
09-25-2007, 08:16 AM
is anybody useing w.d.40 in blaclpowder guns
IHAVE HEARED BOTH PROS AND CONS ON THISSO LETS GET TOGEATHER AND SETTLE THE DEBAIT

TESTHOP

versifier
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Try this simple test. Put small amounts, maybe 10gr, of some bp and some Pyrodex in metal ashtrays. Spray some WD40 on them and wait about 15 minutes. Then try to light them. Also try spraying some into a couple of percussion caps and a couple of the shotgun primers that are used in inlines and let them sit overnight. After the wait, try firing the caps and primers. All the arguments and blowing of hot air other people do can't beat an actual test where you can see it for yourself.
WD40, and any other penetrating oil, should never be used to lubricate carry pistols because it migrates (penetrates) around the primer cup and kills the priming compound. It was a lesson that took the lives of a number of LEO's to learn.
I do not know how it will react with bp and substitutes, (I suspect not well), but have not tried the test with them. I have with primers - kills them dead as a mackerel. I see no need for that kind of oil on any firearm except possibly competition shotguns that are used hard and cleaned often. Other oils and greases stay put better, last much longer in place, and do a better job of lubricating. For long term storage, penetrating oils make no sense as they will evaporate over time and leave the metal at the mercy of changes in temperature and humidity. In other words, they will rust.

testhop
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Maybe I Wasnt Clear I Didnt M Ean To Sray W.d40 N A Lde Barellbut What After
Cleaning To Be Swabbed Out Before Shooting
What I Ment Was After The Barellis Cleaned And Wipedou Ill The .d.40 Seepout In The Power

Testhop

kodiak1
09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
testhop don't know if you know but blackpowder residue doesn't like petroleum products at all.
It make a substance clost to asphault and is a real bear to clean out.
On mine I lube them with a patch containing the lube that I use.
Ken.

Bill Church
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
is anybody useing w.d.40 in blaclpowder guns
IHAVE HEARED BOTH PROS AND CONS ON THISSO LETS GET TOGEATHER AND SETTLE THE DEBAIT

TESTHOP
All my life I have been told that you never use a petrolium probuct in a barrel of a gun. The reasoning behind this has always preached to me that a petroleum product will turn to carbon in the riflings. Is it true? I have no idea, but I always used hoppies in anything that shot a cartrige and barrel butter or unsalted rendered pork fat in a black powder gun. I come from a long line of shooters and its what they all preached. So far it has always worked out well so I never tried to be different about it.