PDA

View Full Version : a good bullet

testhop
10-25-2007, 03:25 PM
i belive that the hornady 150 speral bullet is the best bullet for deer made
if you look at the bullistic tables you will find that in 30 cal of any rifle hits harder
than any other weight i like to drive it only2600 to 2700 it kills like the hammer of thor
try it you will like it (no i dont work for hornady nor do i have any stock in the co)

tom

versifier
10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
A lot of people feel the same way. While I'm partial to the Sierra GKSBT in the same weight (my .308 won't group Hornadys for nuthin'), I really think 150gr bullets are the way to go for .30cal deer loads too. Like you, I also do not push them at max velocities/pressures - it's easier on the brass, the rifle, and my shoulder. 2700-2800 happens to be just a tad bit more accurate in my particular barrel, and I have a 165gr load for larger game that shoots to (pretty much) the same point of aim within 200yds when I match the muzzle velocities, so I don't have to readjust the sights. But, every barrel is different and the one-hole load in my rifle might pattern like a shotgun in someone else's.
I use the same bullet in -06's and .300Sav's with equally good results, and the same weight (but softer and flat nose) in my .30-30's. They all do the job the way they are supposed to, there's no wondering when I pull the trigger. I also like 150gr cast boolits, but I have not yet had the chance to shoot a deer with one yet.
Anytime I get a new .30cal rifle to work up a load for, it gets checked out first with 150gr bullets from red, green, and yellow boxes to see which brand it likes best, and usually it's either the red ones or the green ones. For larger game or special purposes I check out the more expensive ones like Nosler Partitions, Speer Grand Slams, or Barnes TSX's, but it isn't often that someone I know hits the moose lottery.