PDA

View Full Version : the easy way to butcher a deer

testhop
11-16-2007, 01:09 PM
i like to skin the deer the same time i gut it in the woods i just gut pull the hide back peelit down and use it as a pertection from durt quarter the deer remove
all the meat puy every thing in trash bags carry out all that you are going to use leave the rest for the woods critters thay have to eat too

Gunload Master
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I've honestly never did that before. I like to leave the skin on for protection against the elements until I can at least get it to a cooler. Usually I skin it when I get back home where I can hang it.
If it's cold enough outside during the hunt, I'll leave the skin on to help keep the meat looking better for cutting. This is only done if it's very cold out and I know the meat is cold and not going rancid.

versifier
11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
We have to bring the whole deer (minus the guts) to the checking station. We are allowed to quarter a moose though, if proof of sex is left attached. It's usually cold enough during deer season here (except the early part of bow season) that we don't have to worry about spoilage.

testhop
11-17-2007, 04:34 PM
I've honestly never did that before. I like to leave the skin on for protection against the elements until I can at least get it to a cooler. Usually I skin it when I get back home where I can hang it.
If it's cold enough outside during the hunt, I'll leave the skin on to help keep the meat looking better for cutting. This is only done if it's very cold out and I know the meat is cold and not going rancid.

i should have said that my truck is usely close 50 yards or so .so i dont drag
at all i just put the meat in trash bags and carry it to the truck the deer is still warm it makes both the skinning and the butchering easier

kodiak1
11-18-2007, 10:32 AM
testhop I think up here you would have a little bit of a problem with the Game Warden.
This could cost you your rifle, vehicle and animal along with a trip to court and that side order of fine.
We have to have species, sex attatched to the carcass along with the tag.
Ken.

testhop
11-24-2007, 05:26 PM
testhop I think up here you would have a little bit of a problem with the Game Warden.
This could cost you your rifle, vehicle and animal along with a trip to court and that side order of fine.
We have to have species, sex attatched to the carcass along with the tag.
Ken.

where i hunt proving sex is not a problum it is a eather sex if you have a doe tag
and i always do if i hunt as there are way to meny deer