PDA

View Full Version : scope

checker
11-21-2007, 05:56 PM
What Kind Of Scope Should A Man Put On A Black Power Rifle. I Shoot A 50 Cal. Thomason Knight. Any Body Got A Ideal. I Am New At This.
Thanks Checker

kodiak1
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Checker I would think for a good all around scope you would get away with a fixed 4 or 6 power in about any make you wanted.
You could go with a 3X9 but I don't think that would really be needed as you probably won't be shooting past 200 yards.
My thoughts and good Luck.
Ken.

versifier
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
I would go no bigger than 4X. Given the softball trajectory of m/l's, even those that can take heavy charges, you're realistically looking at 100yds. Yes, some kill deer at longer ranges with them, but most are shot well within 100. Mine wears peep sights (for as long as I can still see them:p), but if you must glass it, the lighter the better for fast handling, and the lower the power, the greater your field of view. 2X or 3X would be ideal as far as I'm concerned, but 4X's are a lot more common and available in a wider range of prices. You don't want something so heavy that it will affect the handling and balance of your rifle, and you don't want something so long that it will "dot your eye" under recoil. (The higher the magnification, the shorter the eye relief, so the closer the scope has to be to your eye for you to see through it.) .50's have pretty stout recoil, especially if you drop three pellets in under the bullet. The recoil pad makes it easier on your shoulder, but it doesn't have any effect at all on the muzzle rise, as many shooters learn the hard way.