PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Missouri

Tod
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I love to shoot my TC Scout 54 cal. and my 45 cal. Flint lock. Glad I found this awesome forum....:happy13:

k-g
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Welcome aboard Tod!

May I say that you definitely need a couple of sixguns..... maybe one of them using these little brass containers to keep powder and bullet together :).

btw, what kind of powder do you use?

Tod
11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Welcome aboard Tod!

May I say that you definitely need a couple of sixguns..... maybe one of them using these little brass containers to keep powder and bullet together :).

btw, what kind of powder do you use?

Black powder all the way for me.:happy59: I use Goex FF in the scout and the FFF in the flint lock and a 44 BP pistola.

kodiak1
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Tod welcome to the forum.
Ken.

versifier
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tod. Do you cast for your rifles?

Tod
11-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tod. Do you cast for your rifles?

Not yet I am wanting to, that is how I found this forum. I just don't know were to start.

testhop
11-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Not yet I am wanting to, that is how I found this forum. I just don't know were to start.

TOD welcome we need more men who still uses the proper powder and as for casting its not to hard and you have come to the right place there are a lot of
exprenced people to guide you

tom

versifier
11-27-2007, 12:13 PM
You need four things: pure lead, a melter, a ladle, and a mould.

Pure lead can be scrounged from a number of sources: tape-on wheel weights and chimney flashing are the most common. Roofers and masons usually just throw away their scraps, so make a few phone calls and see what you can come up with from your local contractors. What we used to call junk yards, now metal recyclers often have lead available. Harder alloys are fine for centerfire boolits, but they are a real (unprintable) to load into a m/l. Adding a tiny bit of tin to help fillout is not a problem, though. Pure lead needs to be cast at a fairly high temperature, so turn up the pot's thermostat.

A melter can be had for reasonable money. Lee's 4lb Precision Melter is a good one to start with - I started out with one before god had to shave and I still have it and keep it full of the pure stuff for slugs & boolits for my .54 Renegade. I cast .45's and put them into sabots, and I have rb and MaxiBall moulds, too.

You need a ladle to fill the mould. Lyman makes the best casting ladle that I have used.

Moulds can be ordered from any of the big shooting suppliers like Midway, etc. You can start out with inexpensive aluminum Lee offerings, and move on up to cast iron when you want to start experimenting. I would start off with rb's.

Tod
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
You need four things: pure lead, a melter, a ladle, and a mould.

Pure lead can be scrounged from a number of sources: tape-on wheel weights and chimney flashing are the most common. Roofers and masons usually just throw away their scraps, so make a few phone calls and see what you can come up with from your local contractors. What we used to call junk yards, now metal recyclers often have lead available. Harder alloys are fine for centerfire boolits, but they are a real (unprintable) to load into a m/l. Adding a tiny bit of tin to help fillout is not a problem, though. Pure lead needs to be cast at a fairly high temperature, so turn up the pot's thermostat.

A melter can be had for reasonable money. Lee's 4lb Precision Melter is a good one to start with - I started out with one before god had to shave and I still have it and keep it full of the pure stuff for slugs & boolits for my .54 Renegade. I cast .45's and put them into sabots, and I have rb and MaxiBall moulds, too.

You need a ladle to fill the mould. Lyman makes the best casting ladle that I have used.

Moulds can be ordered from any of the big shooting suppliers like Midway, etc. You can start out with inexpensive aluminum Lee offerings, and move on up to cast iron when you want to start experimenting. I would start off with rb's.

Thank you so much for the info. I will get some of this stuff as soon as I can. Can't wait to get started:-D:-D:-D