PDA

View Full Version : old French 8mm Lebel rifle

bambibuster25-06
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
I got to shoot an old French 8mm Lebel rifle the other day. My Dad had made up some handloads for it and it shot great. Hitting the X ring with every shot! But, we were thinking that we should put a different front sight on it as it has an after market bead front sight and we were looking for something that would resemble an original front sight. Any ideas? Also, does anyone know how to drift the rear sight? The rear sight appears to be pinned in place, and there didn't appear to be anyway to move it.
And for those that are going to ask, I was the one shooting out the X ring. My father was hitting low left. I guess that we hold the rifle different. But we were both printing very tight groups. The rifle still shoots straight, we just need a way to adjust it to 2 different sets of eyes.

k-g
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/04histoire/dossierdushd/lebel/pdf/lebel-1905-planches.pdf
(14Mb but you might need hi-speed)

Front sight was adjusted and tin "welded". From the text (79Mb in French) it seemed to have been of round shape (bead?).

Rear sight, also tin soldered, translates like "height adjustment device" in French so it makes sense that you are limited to that function :).

If you have some tools, you could make a new rear set with a welded adjustable sight. I think surplusrifle.com has articles on how to make simple scope mounts that replace the rear sight.

MSgtUSMC
01-22-2008, 02:48 PM
What BambiBuster didn't mention was that this rifle was of Remington manufacture.