PDA

View Full Version : 454 Casull Brass

Cougarak47
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I am new to the site . I hope someone can help with my question. I just started loading for a .454 Casull i just bought. All the data I've read says to use small rifle primers. Problem is I just bought 600 rounds of used brass that takes large primers. Brass is clearly maked 454 Casull. Can anyone tell me what large primers I should use? I am using Lil' Gun powder and Hornandy 300 grain XTP's. Looking for help! Thanks, Cougarak47.

versifier
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the forum Cougarak47.

Hmmm. My data says small pistol magnums, all three sources. What brand of brass is it? If you haven't already, try the websites of all the powder and bullet manufacturers, not just the makers of the components you are using. One of them might have the correct data. I'm sure we have a few here who shoot it, too, and may have additional insights for you. If you are still stuck, try asking on our other two forums - with membership in the thousands, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

I have run into a similar problem once before. .308x1.5" and .30BR are the same case except for the size of the primer pockets. The data differs slightly, too, just enough to make me double check when deciding on loads and proceeding carefully as I develop them.

I would start by working up a load with large pistol primers and then work up with large pistol magnums to see if there is a difference in accuracy. Go up slowly with your charges, one increment at a time, watching carefully for pressure signs. If you have access to a chronograph, it will make the whole process much easier because you can monitor ES and SD to see when the loads behave more consistantly shot to shot. You can also keep an eye on the chrono while you are testing and know to stop as you approach the listed velocity limits for the powder/bullet you're using if you are coming close to it with a lighter charge.

When any component is an unknown, you are working off the charts, so you have to proceed with caution. Patience is the watchword. I cast my own bullets and I use a lot of surplus powder, neither of which has much of any data available, so much of what I'm doing is in "the gray area". Keep careful records each step of the way, including the little details like OAL, degree of crimp applied, and the temperature when they are shot. The larger primers should give you more reliable ignition and really shouldn't make a big difference unless you are up near max loads, but that is speculation on my part and no substitute being careful and thoroughly examining the fired cases for pressure signs. Picking up a box of factory ammo with the same weight and style bullets to have a standard for comparison wouldn't hurt, either. After you have finished the first round of tests, you will be able to look at your notes and see how much or how little the change in primer affects the data. The hotter you want to load, the more important it is to use a chrono - it will tell you before the cases start showing pressure signs either by high or erratic velocities.

Cougarak47
01-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks to Verisfiier for your advice. I too load for the 30 BR in my benchrest gun.And it does require small primers. I might try calling hornandy ,or Seirra just to double check. I've check several boxes of new ammo and it is all equiped with small primers. Anyway I quess now it amounts to slow and carefull testing. Thanks again for the advice.Cougarak47

GSPKurt
01-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I am new to the site . I hope someone can help with my question. I just started loading for a .454 Casull i just bought. All the data I've read says to use small rifle primers. Problem is I just bought 600 rounds of used brass that takes large primers. Brass is clearly maked 454 Casull. Can anyone tell me what large primers I should use? I am using Lil' Gun powder and Hornandy 300 grain XTP's. Looking for help! Thanks, Cougarak47.

Some older brass was designed for large pistol magnum primers. Newer brass is for small rifle primers. See if you can find loads for L.P.M. primers from the powder companies. I load for the .454 and none of my brass is for LPM primers.