PDA

View Full Version : looking into buyin an AR

AJB
02-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Within the next year I am looking into buying an AR15. Does anyone have one???? If so what brand do you recommend and why and what price range am i looking at???? What extras do you like on yours and why as well. I want to spend the money one time and like the gun and not worrying about having to get another one.

rokdog13
02-18-2008, 07:34 AM
I had an OLYARMS K3B-M4-A3. I got rid of it. What was it good for? Expending huge amounts of ammo that has gotten really expensive. I had alot of fun with it until I realized through experience that the round really sucks for anything other than making neat patterns on paper or relieving stress by emptying several magazines in an incredibly short amount of time.
If you want to get an AR, get one with a long BULL barrel. The short barrel rifles ballistics suck. I purchased the expensive high perf ammo and watched it bounce off something I wanted to fall over. right between the eyes at 50 yds. deflection talk about PISSED OFF!!! I thought the .223 would be fine for small game. Maybe in a longer barrel. I wont own another. Everybody get ribbing me about my toy gun and I defended it until I saw for myself how worthless the .223 round is.
It was designed to wound people in battle, not kill. Even the military wants a replacement. I have read alot of articles of our boys shooting insurgents hopped up on drugs taking several rounds of 5.56 before they expire. They want knock down power which a short barrel military style AR just does not have.
As far as brand goes, my OLYARMS K3B was an ammo eating machine even though I had heard alot of bad about the company mine worked flawlessly.
I have never heard anything bad about Rock River Arms.
And of course Colt, Armalite and Knight are superb but twice what you would pay for the first two I listed which you could get for $900 to $1200
One nice thing about AR's in interchangeablilty. Alot of manufactures are supplying uppers chambered for better calibers that you can put on your lower receiver without any mods. So you can interchange calibers for whatever situation

AJB
02-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I am looking at the Rock River ones right now. Going to use it as a fox and yote gun. I have heard the Rock River has the best trigger pull than any other AR.

Ricky P
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
looking for a AR, I was to for about 2 years just could not talk myself into the thing. It will eat more than you can feed it and when your done you still got a AR. It looks good and has alot of cool add ons. But if you want a coyote gun in 223 think about the Ruger mini 14 target model I just got one I have not shot it yet but with its bull barrel and barrel tuning abilty nice stock. You can get a 20 30 40clips for it. I dropped 850.00 on mine and added a 50 mm scope I had on my 270 which a 3-9-40 is all you need . I got a rifle that I can snipe with and a rifle I can rapid fire for stress releif.:fighting67:

Ricky P
02-26-2008, 09:07 PM
test run

AJB
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Nope will never buy a mini 14. Buddy has one nothing but problems and not accurate at all. Found a guy who sells the RRA AR that I want for a real good price. IT will be a good yote and fox gun. If I want a long range gun I still have my .243 that shoot flat and straight and was only 250 bucks.

versifier
02-28-2008, 10:50 PM
While I agree 100% about the older Mini14's, reports on the new target models are sounding very positive. There is nothing wrong with the action, as there are more than one company out there that rebarrel them to make tack driving rifles in a number of different chamberings. After all, John Garand was no fool, and with the right barrel, M1's and M1A's can be very accurate, too.

ron62
03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
i agree i have a mini 14 target that is vary good shooter but does not like the wolf ammo and love my bushmaster ar15 .

versifier
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Ron,
Welcome to Gunloads. Tell us more about both your Mini14 and your Bushmaster. How well will each shoot with its favorite ammo?

ron62
03-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Thank you for the welcome as for the ammo the mini target just seem's to hate or dislike if you will the wolf 223 ,just can not seem to get a nice grouping with it. Now as for the bushmaster anything seem's to go, with the mini 14 target remington or blackhills work's great .I'm shooting 1 to 1/2 at 100 yard's which i think is not to bad for factory load's .