PDA

View Full Version : .223wssm

jlb300
03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
I would like to know of anyone who may shoot one of these. I am asking to find out if anyone can get satisfactory results from this little rocket? I have one in a win. mod.70 super shadow and just wonder if I am ever gonna find a load to satisfy me. What can anyone tell me about their's?

versifier
03-06-2008, 11:12 PM
What bullets and powders have you tried so far?

jlb300
03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Versifier,
I have tried some factory in 55 gr. psp, some in 55 gr. ballistic tip, Then I have loaded 50gr hornaday spsx on top of 40.0 gr H4895 up to 43.0 gr. I don't recommend this due to the jackets peeling off or seperating under the extreme rotation. This is my observation only. I have put some 55gr. Sierra blitzkings on 35.5 gr. H4895 and like it the best so far. I have some ontop of 47.5gr RL19 but have yet to test them . It will be a day or two before that happens.The weather and all.

versifier
03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Every bullet is designed to perform best withiin a specific velocity range, and most mid-weight .224 bullets are designed for the .223 and .22-250(.220Swift) velocity ranges. As you found out the hard way, your WSM is going to push the envelope of many beyond design specs. I wouldn't even bother with anything lighter than 52-53gr, and unless the twist rate is less than 1:10, I wouldn't bother with anything heavier than 60gr, either. I would start by contacting the different manufacturers to find out about their products and which ones they recommend for the velocity range you are looking at. Sierra techs have been particularly helpful to me that way. While the bullet makers don't usually publish the data, most will make it available to you if you ask. As I don't shoot the WSM, I can't make a suggestion as to powder choice except to tell you to be patient. Many rifles regardless of their caliber are very picky about powders. Sometimes you just have to go through them one at a time with a bullet you know it will shoot well. FWIW, most of my rifles do very well with Sierras and they would be the first company I would contact by phone or email. sierra@sierrabullets.com or 800-223-8799

jlb300
03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes how right you are Versifier. I have learned alot with this little "22" . BTW I happen to like the Sierra's also. I will give them a ring and see what comes of it. Thanks again. Give up I will not. I do not like to quit. I will make this one work somehow . Even if it takes me 20 more years......Provided I have that many left.