PDA

View Full Version : loading data for 224 harvey kay chuck

tgardner
03-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I've aquired a smith and wesson that's chambered for harvey kay chuk. I don't have any data on loading for it. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

versifier
03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the forum, tgardner.

I have heard of the round sometime in the dim past, but looking in COTW and the Handbook of Cartridge Conversions I come up empty, and that is odd as it shiould be listed under the wildcats. Isn't it an "improved" version of the .22rem Jet? I can't trust my memory for things like that anymore - parts no longer available.

k-g
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
One of these calibers everybody heard about without being able to offer any data :mrgreen:.

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w224hkc.html

ch4d make the die$ :
http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/ch4d0213.html

versifier
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
You know, that's not the first cartridge that was in older editions of COTW that seems to have vanished from the current one. I bet Frank would not be happy about it; I'm not.

k-g
03-26-2008, 07:19 PM
I checked a few COTW's after mine (1997?) and didn't find much more, in the editor's tradition.
The mistakes were still there and I'm ready to bet that the .577 revolver still hasn't made it, for example.
If I remember the introduction, cuts are made in order to keep the format "handy". That's not what I expect from a reference book updated every other year either.

S.B.
04-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, tgardner.

I have heard of the round sometime in the dim past, but looking in COTW and the Handbook of Cartridge Conversions I come up empty, and that is odd as it shiould be listed under the wildcats. Isn't it an "improved" version of the .22rem Jet? I can't trust my memory for things like that anymore - parts no longer available.

Actually, the .224 Harvey Kaychuck pre dates the jet. It's what S&W should of chambered their handgun in? No case set back or other problems of the jet. I built a Kaychuck from a model 15 that I fitted a K22 barrel and cylinder to and then reamed the cylinder. I've worked with Red Dot, 2400, and now Lil' Gun powders and the newer 40 grain bullets because of my gun having the LR rifling twist.

floramoa
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM
The 4th and 5th editions of COTW on page 141 and 144 respectivly reference 40 grain bullets with 9.5 of 2400 and 5.0 of Unique. These loads are listed as hot and powders have changed in 51 years since this cartridge was developed. Reduce the charges and work up, watch preasures and your cronograph. This looks like a fun cartridge to work with.