PDA

View Full Version : Martini cadets

Oldbushman
09-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Just to get the ball rolling how many of you have owned/own something based on a Martini Cadet action ?
I've two at the presant time one is still a .310 (as my stepson discovered it in the rear of my safe ! It was waiting to become a 30 herrot or 357max) & the other is a .22hornet !
I reckon their a great little action& the converstion oppertunities (within reason are boundless)

Dave

dave22250
09-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Oldbushman,
No but I shoot a ruger No.1 and a T.C. encore.I love the No. 1 but alittle price anymore,getting into encore pistol and rifle.

Oldbushman
09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Oldbushman,
No but I shoot a ruger No.1 and a T.C. encore.I love the No. 1 but alittle price anymore,getting into encore pistol and rifle.

Got to love those No1 rugers !!!! I have toyed with the idea over the years of chambering a pair in .300H&H &.375H&H! But as you say they are getting rather pricey :( But I live in the hope of finding a couple cheap actions ) I have only seen a couple of the Encores but they seem to be a very robust weapon!

Dave

RayO
09-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I have one in original condition that I shoot.It will take 32-20 cases with no problem.I shoot 30 cal. lead bullets unsized and the accuracy is quite good.These are neat little rifles and are fun to shoot.

fireform
10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I've not had the pleasure, yet. But desire VERY muchto get my hands on a No.1, the standard against which all others are measured when it comes to action strength. A good friend of mine had Contender for a whilethough, said it was one of the best guns he ever had. I've been looking at them myself. Maybe in a J. D. Jones chambering?

El Oso
10-28-2005, 06:22 AM
A friend has one in 218 Mashburn,this is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I keep trying to trade him out of it but no deal.
They make a great little gun. I wanted one in 310 to use for 32-20.
El Oso

Oldbushman
11-27-2005, 03:30 AM
A friend has one in 218 Mashburn,this is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I keep trying to trade him out of it but no deal.
They make a great little gun. I wanted one in 310 to use for 32-20.
El Oso

several smiths over here used to ream the chambers of Cadets out to 32-20 but the problem there is that the .310 runs from .314 out to .316-18 so your better off rebarreling or re cutting the barrel out to .357mag (these make for great plinking rifles)

Dave

Ramslammer
11-28-2005, 03:01 AM
G'Day All
I've had these cadet conversions 1x .218 BEE with tasmanian myrtle stocks (beautiful), 2x .22 HORNET, 3x .17 Ackley Hornets,1x 25-20 and lastly 1x .222 rimmed. The conversions were very popular in Australia and in fact 3 of the above rifles came from Sportco Arms. New .310 cadet brass is available from Bertram Bullets here in Australia and he does export. There is even a competition here for the cadet.
Juddy

Oldbushman
11-28-2005, 06:11 AM
G'Day All
I've had these cadet conversions 1x .218 BEE with tasmanian myrtle stocks (beautiful), 2x .22 HORNET, 3x .17 Ackley Hornets,1x 25-20 and lastly 1x .222 rimmed. The conversions were very popular in Australia and in fact 3 of the above rifles came from Sportco Arms. New .310 cadet brass is available from Bertram Bullets here in Australia and he does export. There is even a competition here for the cadet.
Juddy

G'day Mate!!!!!:) Welcome aboard great to see another Aussie round the traps ! Let alone another "Cadet" Fan ! You've got to love em ! I'll be away for about a Fortnight with Work (Dingo control ) Up at Woomera but I hope to catch up with you on my return

Dave

C1PNR
11-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Mine in original .310 has a .320 bore! I'm trying to figure out what to shoot in the thing. I have some Bertram brass and quite a selection of powder available, but have no idea which boolit to use.

I like the idea of keeping it original, but I may need to look for one with a little tighter bore. Then I could think about a new barrel on this one.

Ramslammer
11-29-2005, 07:10 PM
G'Day All
If you are looking for moulds,even oversize ones go to www.users.bigpond.com/JIM.CBE.htm . This is Cast Bullet Engineering,they make high quality moulds for just about everthing. Also click on the link for the Martini gallery. Hope this is some help for those looking for "big" moulds.
Juddy

Oldbushman
12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
G'Day All
If you are looking for moulds,even oversize ones go to www.users.bigpond.com/JIM.CBE.htm . This is Cast Bullet Engineering,they make high quality moulds for just about everthing. Also click on the link for the Martini gallery. Hope this is some help for those looking for "big" moulds.
Juddy

Mate I do'nt use any other mould apart from CBE and swear by em ! As a matter of intrest I had a Uncle (long dead now ) Who was the Smith at Sportco who started the converstions . I still own a Hornet that he did for him self :D I've thought of rechambering it to K Hornet a couple of times but can't bring myself to do it ! I normaly have a Cadet stashed in the dark reseses of the safe But My step son spyed my last one & claimed it as his own :mad: So I have to find another to try a .357max converstion .

Dave

C1PNR
12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Do you use the "heeled" boolit in your original .310 Cadet? That seems like a troublesome design if you're looking for accuracy.

I've been in touch with Jim and I guess I need to get off my duff and order a mould. I just hope they can do one that casts wheelweights at .321 or .322 to fit my oversize bore. I really like the idea of keeping this thing in original configuration.:)

Oldbushman
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I've got both the heeled design & the standard flat base & the truth is I ca't really see the differance so far as accuracy goes but a large number of blokes I know swear by the Heeled design claiming that it is the origanial design of the Bullet .

Dave

ambergrifleman
01-21-2006, 07:04 AM
I have one in ,310 cadet. Love it to death. I use the C B E Mould. Heel design very accurate little rifle, If you do not cast I think you can buy bullets from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. You can check with them and see. Here is their phone # 208-263-6953. They have a web site too it is www.buffaloarms.com They are Great to do bussiness with. :D

C1PNR
01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Just checked Buffalo Arms - no joy. Only .321 is 165 gr FN for 32-40 or .32 Special.

Guess I'll just have to suck it up and order from CBE. I don't know why this seems so hard to do.:rolleyes:

versifier
01-25-2006, 08:52 PM
C1PNR,
Have you been next door to the Cast Boolits Forum? You will find a TON of info on the action, conversions, proper boolits, and loads. Maybe even a used mould or two that can save you a few bucks.:-D
You can get a great selection of boolits from Bullshop, too.

Oldbushman
01-26-2006, 01:59 AM
C1PNR,
Have you been next door to the Cast Boolits Forum? You will find a TON of info on the action, conversions, proper boolits, and loads. Maybe even a used mould or two that can save you a few bucks.:-D
You can get a great selection of boolits from Bullshop, too.

Great idea Versifier . I forgot about Bullshop bullets :( also there might be a way of opening up a 312 mould to the required size ? I've never slugged a barrel on a .310 .I've always used Bullets of .314 esp when it comes to jacketed There is a 125gn designed for the .303 brit that shoots like steam out of mostof the .310's I've owned

Dave

versifier
01-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Check out the postings at CB on "Beagling", "Leementing", etc. There are several ways to open up moulds that have been experimented with, talked about, and reported on. Easier to go over next door and explore than to detail them here.:-D