PDA

View Full Version : New here & needing info

pdog
05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Just found this site the other day and looks very informational. A bit about myself---- retired trooper, went to Iraq to instruct firearms as a private contractor for a year 06-07, then a year in Kosovo with the United Nations Special Operations 07-08 and return to the states in June to enjoy life. Been big into shooting all my life and now need to learn about shooting cast bullets in a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum. I want to use 125, 158 and 170 gn cast bullets, will probably start molding my own. Helped do some 20 years ago and sort of have the gist of it. Are tire weights to soft to use for deer/pigs? Are flatnose ok or need hollow points? Any certain style or brand of mold I need to get and do they need to be resized? Thanks for your help, I have a bunch of time off before I fly back and will look this site over for more info and help.

kodiak1
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Wheel Weights will kill animals of that stature just fine.
Good Luck and Good Casting. Ken. :fighting68:

versifier
05-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Welcome to Gunloads, pdog.

Wheel wights are exactly what you need. Flat noses are the best choices for hunting anything. The heavier the better, 170-200gr are best in the .357mag. It is not a long range cartridge for larger game, best within 50yds for deer, though if you are a good shot, maybe a little farther. IMO, it is best from a tree stand or in the hands of a really good stalker. HP's are for 2-legged varmints and small game, 158 +/- is a good weight. I don't shoot anything lighter in cast in .357, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth experimenting. Please post your results on paper and on game and the moulds you use.

jlb300
05-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Welcome. I havent much to add for I am quite the beginner in the casting world. Stick around a bit and we may find something else in common

testhop
06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Just found this site the other day and looks very informational. A bit about myself---- retired trooper, went to Iraq to instruct firearms as a private contractor for a year 06-07, then a year in Kosovo with the United Nations Special Operations 07-08 and return to the states in June to enjoy life. Been big into shooting all my life and now need to learn about shooting cast bullets in a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum. I want to use 125, 158 and 170 gn cast bullets, will probably start molding my own. Helped do some 20 years ago and sort of have the gist of it. Are tire weights to soft to use for deer/pigs? Are flatnose ok or need hollow points? Any certain style or brand of mold I need to get and do they need to be resized? Thanks for your help, I have a bunch of time off before I fly back and will look this site over for more info and help.
WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wheelweights are fine if you can find them just be careful to sort out the stick ons and most important the dreaded zink ones the stickons are not too much of a problum as thay are mostly soft lead but the zinks will ruin a alloy some are marked some are noot thay are harder than reg ww and make a diffant sound when droped but not always
and when you fly back rememberthe old g.i saying keep your head ,your hand and your butt down

Tom W.
06-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Hello. I have some Lee molds, but most of mine are RCBS molds. They are good and heavy, and with RCBS' guarantee, are hard to beat, altho you will have to buy handles for them. There are others that are more costly, but I don't have any....
Go ahead and scrounge all the wheel weights that you can. Sooner or later you'll make then into ingots, and they won't rot nor do they eat much...