PDA

View Full Version : favorite rifle

rocker
03-06-2005, 11:15 AM
i have 2 at this time. the first is a savage model 16 in 308 with accutrigger. it has a 3x9 burris fullfield II mounted in leupold base and rings. it will consistently shoot .75 inch groups at 100 yds with win. 168 gr ballistic silvertips. one hellava deer getter.
the other is a ruger 10/22 glassbedded in factry stock, custom trigger job with 1 1/2 lb pull and simmons 3x9 AO scope. with wolf match ammo it shoots 10 rds into .50 at 50 yds. great squirrel rifle.
my next one will be a re-barreled savasge in 223wssm-can't wait to get started on that.

onesonek
03-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Right now the TC Encore gets used more than any other in the cabinet
Dave

Reloader
03-15-2005, 10:06 PM
My favorite rifle is usually the one I bought last. Currently that is the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 M1A. This is a really fun rifle to shoot, and besides, I've wanted an M1A for years! :D

45nut
03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
My favorite rifle is usually the one I bought last. Currently that is the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 M1A. This is a really fun rifle to shoot, and besides, I've wanted an M1A for years! :D
Man a M1A would be nice.
I got close enough though with my SAIGA 308,9 round mags and it wears a 6-24 Sightron Scope. I have 2 spare mags that gives me 27 rounds w/o reloading a mag but I have been told the Isreali 308 Galil mags will fit and function in my SAIGA. Now to trip over some hens teeth and have my chin land on a stack of those rare mags.
I gave just about $230.00 for my 308,and considering the pedigree of the AK's as durable I have not been disapointed,reliable sells it short. And my big AK is delivering rather surprising accy as well. With LC 68 ammo I have no problem gutting milk jugs at 2-300 yards. For the low dollar output -high shooting quality,frugal minded type like myself I am very glad I bought one when I did.

Anonymous
03-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Hello all! Under 45 nuts advice I have mosied over here. It looks like a real nice site.
My favorite rifle is a old tang safty Ruger mod 77 in 270 with a 2.5x8 B&L scope. me and that rifle have lowered the deer population quite abit in NM.....buck

Oldbushman
08-23-2005, 03:10 AM
My problem is I love em all !But if it came to the crunch I think my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 would be up the top of the list ! Followed closely by my 1902
#1 Enfield which has served me faithfully for many years :)

Dave

Mauserman
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
I have several WW2 era rifles and pistols, Enfields, Mosin, SKS, etc. But my favorite I call Baby. It's a Turkish Mauser. What makes it different is not only the looks but the longer barrel. When I got it I spent two days getting rid of every bit of cosmoline. It looked like this old Turk had been put it away for over 60 years as the action, bolt, barrel etc. was brand new. The wood had a few storage dings but I took care of that. Nice oil finish. All for $105.00!!!!! Shoots real sweet and because of it's greater weight has less recoil than some of my others.

kjohn
10-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Favorite rifle? Hmmmm..... Tough one.... Mauser 98's, Lee Enfields, VZ52/57, 94 Win 30-30 or .32 Spl, plus more..... Hakim, M-N, SKS, Garand, more....:) :)

versifier
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Mauserman & kjohn.
If I absolutely had to pick a favorite, I think I'd go with my Old Canoe Paddle, an ancient Rem788 in .308 that will outshoot anything but a tuned custom match rifle. Not the prettiest rifle in the rack by any means, nor the most expensive, but still the first one I choose for the range or the field.

kodiak1
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
#1- My Ruger 25-06 Heavy Barrel
#2- My 300 H&H.
Both are deadly and just plain enjoyable to shoot.
Ken:fighting68:

Gunload Master
10-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum everyone!

A favorite rifle? I would hate to pick a favorite.. the others might get too jealous ;)

Bullshop Junior
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
My good old Remington 788 223 rechambered from 222. I took that out today with my faverate load of 19gn of 4895 and the 55gn CBE. I shot to rabbits and a grouse yesterday, and four grouse today. I shot one it the brest and it peeled the meet of the bone for me.
My second faverate one is my Marlin "S.S.S." modle 60, 22.
And my faverate one that I want is my dads first year marlin 1895 45/70.
DANIEL/BS JR.
:fighting67:

Deathwind
10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
My current favourite is my Sako Finnbear in 7mm rem.mag but i like all my guns.

Bullshop Junior X2
11-16-2006, 10:49 PM
My favorite is my 22 Hornet, I haven't got my 6.5 S.M. to shoot real good yet. I don't mess around with it that much , besides I've only had it for a yaer :rolleyes:, speaking of which I still have a load to work up for that thing. I should get around to it sometime this week. I don't think I am going to use the 85.0gn,
TONY/BS/JRX2

Oldbushman
11-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Tony the Little Hornet would have to be one of the greatest little round avalible on this planet ! I have a Old Martini sportco (Sportco were a company based in Adelaide South Australia for many years ! They closed down in the early 1970s & moved to the US where they now trade under the name of KIMBER) My uncle was the head Gunsmith at Sportco for some years & bulit the rifle for me ! It has shoot thousands of Rabbits ,Foxes , Kangaroos (before the min cal was changed to .222) Goats ,Dingos ,Pigs & even about 50 camel (no it is not a sutible camel rifle ,but when there is nothing else at hand & you keep it down to 50yrds & head shots ) I suppose of all my working rifles it has earnt me the most money over 40 odd years as a Pro !

Dave

Bullshop Junior X2
11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
The Hornet is a good cartridge. A few years ago someone gave us two yaks, so Dad went down there and shot each one in the head one time and killed them deader then a door post.
TONY/BS/JR.X2

GSPKurt
12-16-2006, 07:38 PM
The Hornet is a good cartridge. A few years ago someone gave us two yaks, so Dad went down there and shot each one in the head one time and killed them deader then a door post.
TONY/BS/JR.X2

:shock: :shock: WHAT?!? :shock: :shock:

GSPKurt
12-16-2006, 07:40 PM
My 2 current favorites are my Stevens 200 in .223 and my Marlin 1894C in .357Mag.

Bullshop Junior X2
12-20-2006, 01:37 AM
:shock: :shock: WHAT?!? :shock: :shock:
GSPKurt,
The 22 hornet is no slouch! Oldbushman shoots camel with his hornet, but as he said,this is an exact quote, he said: (no it is not a sutible camel rifle ,but when there is nothing else at hand & you keep it down to 50yrds & head shots )
Tony

Bullshop Junior X2
12-20-2006, 01:59 AM
G-Day Dave!
This is BS Sr. I never knew that about Sportco, that they became Kimber. When the old Kimber of Or. went out some of the employies bought the machinery and moved to Stevensville Mt. to start the Cooper Co..
When they first started they had thier own proprietary cartridge the 22 CCM ( cooper centerfire magnum) It is pretty much a centerfire (reloadable) 22wrm but you can get a bit more zap out of it.
They didnt make many as they had trouble with the early brass splitting and they just didnt sell so dropped it.
I have one and that is my favorite. I have worked out many loads all with cast. One is with an NEI #2 45gn fngc and 3.3gn 800X and a Fed #100. That gives over 2000 shots per lb powder. I once shot it into 7 1 gallon milk bottles filled with water and put an oak pallet behind that and the little 45gn bullet went through all.
Cost me less than $2.00 to load a box of 50. You can sure get alot done with that little bugger.
BIC/BS

Oldbushman
12-23-2006, 06:16 PM
G-Day Dave!
This is BS Sr. I never knew that about Sportco, that they became Kimber. When the old Kimber of Or. went out some of the employies bought the machinery and moved to Stevensville Mt. to start the Cooper Co..
When they first started they had thier own proprietary cartridge the 22 CCM ( cooper centerfire magnum) It is pretty much a centerfire (reloadable) 22wrm but you can get a bit more zap out of it.
They didnt make many as they had trouble with the early brass splitting and they just didnt sell so dropped it.
I have one and that is my favorite. I have worked out many loads all with cast. One is with an NEI #2 45gn fngc and 3.3gn 800X and a Fed #100. That gives over 2000 shots per lb powder. I once shot it into 7 1 gallon milk bottles filled with water and put an oak pallet behind that and the little 45gn bullet went through all.
Cost me less than $2.00 to load a box of 50. You can sure get alot done with that little bugger.
BIC/BS

G'day Mate .The CCM never made it to our shores . Which from what I gather is a pity as it might of given the 22mag a run for its money ! We did get the Rem 5mm Mag & it died within about 2yrs leaveing the owners high & dry .

Dave

Bullshop Junior X2
12-24-2006, 12:29 AM
G'day Mate .The CCM never made it to our shores . Which from what I gather is a pity as it might of given the 22mag a run for its money ! We did get the Rem 5mm Mag & it died within about 2yrs leaveing the owners high & dry .

Dave
NO NO Dave, not high and dry. We converted one of the Rem 5mm's rf's to 5mm cf for a customer. It was quite a simple conversion. All needed parts came from Shroader bullet works in California. That included loading dies and centerfire brass along with the bolt conversion.
I get my cooper brass from Shroader and its good stuff. Still going after 50 reloads. Thats what origonaly killed the Cooper. They had thier brass made by Red Willow Armory then also in Stevensville Montana. It was lathe turned from bar stock and most of it would split on the first firing. OH BOY I could tell you some stuff about R.W.A. but wont go there accept to say they moved to Cody Wyoming and are now called Ballard.
With the 204 Ruger now its no trouble finding 5mm bullets. No need to retire those nice light trim little Remingtons. My Dad got one when they first came out. He had a window from his bathroom that overlooked his garden about 60 yards away. The 5mm sat by the window and if a deer was in the garden it was put to use. I can get you contact info for Shroader if you need it.
BIC/BSSr.

Oldbushman
12-29-2006, 06:43 AM
I can get you contact info for Shroader if you need it.
BIC/BSSr.

I'm not aware of anybody I know still owning a 5mm ,but on saying that it's not something I've talked about in years ! So I would be interested in the contact details so I can spread the word around . Thank you

Dave

C1PNR
12-29-2006, 08:09 PM
You know this is impossible to answer! How do I not like my '06 which I've been shooting since the early 70's? And how about that really nice condition .300 Savage 99? Or the 3d model '73 in 44-40? Or that old '94 in .32 Special that I've carried for so many years.

I think my favorite rifle is the one in my hands right now, old timer or new (at least to me) . Maybe that's the curse of having several rifles, or for that matter, handguns. I can't think of a single one I'm willing to give up.

Oh, sure, some shoot smaller groups than others, but what the heck - who's perfect! And, BTW, taming a new to me firearm to put 'em all where I want them, that's part of the deal!:p :D

Bullshop Junior X2
12-31-2006, 12:03 AM
BIC/BSSr.

I'm not aware of anybody I know still owning a 5mm ,but on saying that it's not something I've talked about in years ! So I would be interested in the contact details so I can spread the word around . Thank you

Dave
Here ya go Dave,
Schroeder Bullets
1421 Thermal Ave
San Diego, Ca
619-423-3523
619-423-8124 voice and fax
BTW I have another new favorite to go along with the old.
A chap came into my shop to trade. He had an early Ruger single six three screw that he had converted to centerfire many years ago but never finished the project. It now hangs from my side and is a very fine shooting 22 ccm. Also a handsome peace with its 30+ year old stag horn grips The perfect companion peace to my favorite rifle. God is good!
BIC/BS

Oldbushman
12-31-2006, 11:33 PM
Cheers for the info ! Apparently according to one of my Croneys ,a Old Mate of ours who lives out on the edge of the Nullabour Plain still has a 5mm stashed away ! So I'll drop him a line & pass on the info !

As for that Old three screw ! Great find ...I'm jealous !:wink: Good luck to ya !

Dave

Robertbank
01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
My Huquavarna Husky in 30-06 has been a great rifle, My Winnie '94 is nice for nostelga but I have to say my Sureshot .22LR made by Cooey (Now Winchester) that I paid $22. for when I was 12 has to be my favourite. Gun has shot more squirrels, beaver and rabbits than I can count, not to mention gophers in Alberta. Gun goes to my oldest when I am done with it.

Take Care

Bob

ZigZagZeke
01-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Back in high school I shot smallbore indoor competition. My rifle of choice was a Remington 513T that I bought with my own savings. It had micrometer peep sights and a hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts. The ten ring on a 50 foot target was the same size as a .22 bullet hole. That rifle was capable of hitting literally anything I could see. For fun we used to set empty .22 cases on their sides so all we could see was the back end, and then pick them off like clockwork. You could do the same thing with a pop can at 100 yards. Why I ever sold it I'll never know.

alchemist
01-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Hey bullshop, good to hear you can get 22 cooper brass from Schroader Bullet Works. How do you get ahold of them? Let me know thanks.

Bullshop Junior X2
01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
You can get it from

Schroeder Bullets
1421 Thermal Ave
San Diego, CA 92154

Tony

alchemist
01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks alot, Tony!

C1PNR
02-20-2007, 03:51 PM
High School ROTC Rifle Team! I loved it then, and still do now!

I bought one many years ago with a short stock so my Son could learn to shoot. Later, I found a new to me full length stock. Now, my 36 year old Son and I still shoot that same 513T with the peep rear and, usually, peep front insert.

NOTHING on the desert is safe! Ground squirrels, rocks, dirt clods, whatever, fall to that old .22. I think it weighs about 10 or 11 pounds, but it sure hangs steady out there on offhand shots!:)

Bullshop Junior X2
02-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks alot, Tony!
You are welcome!,a lot.
Tony

crstan
02-24-2007, 12:32 AM
#1 is 375/300mag #2 is 6.5/284 love em

Gunload Master
02-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Shooting the big boys ehh crstan!

Welcome to the forums!

Bullshop Junior X2
03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
BIC/BSSr.

Dave

Ha! your wrong! my dad has a 5mm:lol:
Tony

Bullshop Junior X2
03-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Just got myself a new sweet-heart in my rack! I got a Stevens model 200 in 243 Winchester cal. I have shot 31 times since I got it. I have a Leapers 3x9 scope on it. it shoots very well. I would like to get a 30/06 in Stevens 200, but for now I have my 243.
Tony

TaosGlock
03-25-2007, 05:35 PM
My M1A National Match is my favorite semi-auto.

My Stainless/Synthetic Tikka Whitetail hunter in 300 Win Mag w. it's 6-24 Bushnell 4200 M.Dot is one of my favorite bolt guns.

Both are sub-MOA with the right load.

Old Time Hunter
03-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Seems the first one I grab and the last I put down is always my trusty '94 Trapper chambered for .44 Mag. From my shoulder it has taken thirteen whitetail deer, one black bear, and one bull elk up the Bitter Root down by the Clark Fork. If an inanimate object could be a friend, then I would say this one has been. I've got many, many choices from my portfolio, and the .444's I have might be better all around, even feel pretty much the same, kinda like hav'n dates with various 9 rated women, but one will twitch just at the right time as if she knows ya. That's that little Trapper

versifier
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome OTH. Hmmm. I don't mind when my friends shoot my rifle. Taking the comparison too far the other way caused me to divorce my last wife. And I still don't mind when they shoot my rifle. :)

Old Time Hunter
03-30-2007, 09:33 PM
The wife is the 10

versifier
03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you have yourself "a keepa".

Littlesnabes
04-21-2007, 07:12 PM
i guess my favorite rifle i own is my mosin/nag m44 was actually in a situation in arizona(were i live atm) were 2 guys tried to rob me (aparently they didn't see i was shooting...idiots) and when they cam up behind me i turned around with it bayonet extended and umm lets just say they ran . didn't even have to fire was good for me. also i am deadly accurate with it and it is a blast to shoot

if i may hand guns it is my sa\a .45 that takes the cake... but you if you own a auto i can fire 6 shots more accurately and faster then you can with your auto lol :fighting68:

Tony Gable
05-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Hi GSP Kurt,

I've been looking at a Stevens 200 in a .223. Would you shoot me so personal info on the rifle. Seems like a good deal for the price. How does it shoot? What is the free bore? Synthetic or wooden stock? I'm very interested in it. I have a Handi Rifle SB2 ultra. Sweet rifle. But I want a bolt action. Would love to shoot squirrels and rock chucks out to 200 yards.

Would really appreciate the info,

Tony

GUNCONTROL IS BEING ABLE TO HIT YOUR TARGET!

Tom W.
05-19-2007, 09:31 PM
I have 2 Ruger #1B's, one is a 30/06 A.I. and the other is a 7mm Rem mag. I can't say that I like one more than the other, it would be like choosing between your kids!

Bullshop Junior X2
05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
My brother has a Stevens in .223, he shoots mostly cast boolits out of it, I am not sure what load he was shooting (I will try to get the load to you).but, it was shooting 1/2-1inch groups at 100 yards, that was with his gun not broke-in yet!
I got .243 win Stevens 200, in it I was shooting: 14.5 grains of 2400 with the rcbs 100 grain fngc, and at 100 yards I shot 0.409" groups , And again, My gun wasn't-broke in yet.
The Stevens 200s take the challenge out of shooting!
Tony