PDA

View Full Version : Lyman cast bullet sizing Dies @ Top punches

Kimber 40
07-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi.
I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions to ask. I have just taken up bullet casting and bought a as new Lyman 450 bullet sizer.I load for .40 S/W 45 ACP as well as 9mm
I would like to know if anyone can tell me what Lyman sizer die to use for .40 45 ACP and 9 mm. For the 45 ACP i am using a Hensley Gibbs 200 grain semi wad cutter and for the .40 s/w i am using a Saeco 170 grain semi wad cutter. I need to know what cast bullet sizer die to sue as well as what top punch....Is there any place where i can cross referance a certain weight and type of bullet and it will tell me what sizer die for the cast bullet and what top punch to use based on the shape of the bullet.
Thanks in advance
Kimber 40:confused:

kodiak1
07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Go to each Builders Website and you should be able to source out the nose punches need there.
Sizer Dies you usually go one size larger than your Caliber.
9MM is .355, .356 try a .357 should work okay for you
Good Luck Ken.

versifier
07-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Welcome to Gunloads Kimber40.

Optimum size is usually determined by slugging the bore of the gun in question and sizing .002-.003" above groove diameter. Use a mic to measure, not a caliper. I can't help you with top punches as I push-through size all my cast bullets. I would go next door to Cast Boolits and post a list of your moulds - I'm sure you will get the info on appropriate top punches you need.

rowdy1
12-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Kimber 40,if you'll look at Lymans website,they did have the top punch and recommended sizer dies listed for each different bullet mould they sell.If you can't figure it out,order 1 of their free catalogs and it also has all this info listed with the discription of each mould.It depends on the nose shape of the bullet as to what top punch you'll need.And as far as the sizing die goes,the other guys told you right,usually .002 to .003 over your groove dia.,it just depends on what your gun likes.Lymans 401638 40 caliber bullet is 175gr and uses top punch #43.I have this mould and like the bullet except for the fact that a bevel base bullet usually gets a little extra lube on the base when run through the lubrisizer.I've been casting for almost as long as i've been reloading,around 15 yrs.If I can help,just let me know.I can tell you this, when it comes to casting,you never quit learning!Have fun,shoot straight,and be safe.

markinalpine
12-12-2010, 07:44 AM
You might try: http://www.castpics.net/, and select the Top Punch Reference from the menu on the left side of the page.
Mark :idea: