PDA

View Full Version : looking 222 rem loads lead 63gr lyman

bigo788
07-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Hello : I am new to cast bullets for rifle I have some 63 gr gas checked lyman bullets that a buddy gave me . I would like to load them i would like to use unquie powder i hope some could help me out . thanks for your time bigo788 yes i collcet remington 788's

versifier
07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, you're going to be right at home here. I don't have enough of them to actually claim I collect them, but I have been known to worship the amazing accuracy of the two I currently own. :)

I would be starting with 4895 and 4198, mainly because I can easily calculate reduced loads for cast with rifle powders. The cartridges for which I have pistol powder data all have much greater case capacity and I do not have first hand knowledge or experience using them in cases that small.

I am positive that next door at Cast Boolits you will find someone who has done some experimenting along those lines and can give you a safe starting load. I can however give you some loads for those bullets in sabots for .30 cal rifles if you are interested.

versifier
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
After doing quite a bit of research, I am unable to find a 63gr Lyman mould, or anything to indicate that they have ever made one. Are you sure of the brand and weight? There is lots of data available for 55gr and lighter cast bullets.....

jimkim
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
What is the mould number? Did you weigh the bullet?

Bill Church
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Don't have a spare bolt for a Remington788 in a 243 do you?

My soninlaw pulled the handle out of the one I have. I've been going to take it to a place up state that specializes in fixing them but havn't had the time to make the trip yet.

versifier
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
You are much better off having the handle rewelded (make sure they use a heat sink when they weld to avoid warping it) for two reasons. First, the original bolt is already properly headspaced and will not need to be messed with. Second, it is almost impossible to find 788 parts, except the occasional magazine. You might try Gun Parts Corp ( www.e-gunparts.com) if you're really stuck, but I would not get my hopes up.

I still have two 788's of a formerly large collection, a .22-250 and a .308. I would not part with either for love nor money as they are two of the most accurate rifles I own. I wish I still had the .30-30, but it went to a good home and puts deer in the freezer regularly for its new family.

Bill Church
02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Hello : I am new to cast bullets for rifle I have some 63 gr gas checked lyman bullets that a buddy gave me . I would like to load them i would like to use unquie powder i hope some could help me out . thanks for your time bigo788 yes i collcet remington 788's
I just spent the last couple of days playing with an old 222 REM caliber 340 Savage. I find that a 45 grain bullet with 21 grains of 4895 held the tightest and most consistant group. This is one of the touchiest rifles I shoot.