PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Barrels

savageman270
10-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I am looking to purchase my next rifle. It's going to be a .308 with a heavy barrel. Do they make heavy barrels for anything other than varmit guns. I'd like to get a300 Winchester Mag Remington 700 CDL, but i really would like a "heavy" barrel. Does anyone manufacture one??

kodiak1
10-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I think you would have to put one on after the fact.
Don't recall ever seeing one with a heavy barrel on it.

Would be a nice rifle a little heavy to pack up a mountian.

Ken.

versifier
10-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, they make them. You want to be looking at "Tactical" rifles, those made specifically for the police sniper/SWAT market, and you can find them both in .308 and .300mag. Kodiak is of the same opinion as I, they make wonderful bench guns, but I wouldn't like to be carrying one around all day for deer hunting. My M1A is too heavy for anything but stand hunting, and a real heavy barreled .308 would tip the scales at over 9lbs. Are you looking for a target rifle? Or are you wanting a hunting rifle? If you are a hunter, that class is great for "bean field" hunting where the shots are up to 300yds or more, but you are in a blind or a tree stand, not carrying it around all day. Here in NE, where a long shot at a deer is 50yds, a rifle like that would be usless for anything but at the range.

Tom W.
10-12-2008, 09:17 PM
My Savage Model 12 BVSS-S is a .308, has a heavy barrel and is a single shot, and very accurate. It also weighs over 10 pounds, so if I take it for a walk in the woods it will end up in my box blind.

kodiak1
10-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Vers thanks for that. I did not know that a 300 came in a heavy barrel from the factory.

Ken :fighting68:

versifier
10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
My nephew is a police sniper. He had to put up quite a stink to get a .308. One of his superiors decided a .300mag was the perfect rifle (an armchair expert). The Remington 700 they settled on was/is available in both chamberings, so they got the loan of a pair of them for testing. The "expert" hit the target once with the .300 and was flinching so badly none of his next three were on the paper at all, even with a 9lb rifle. The target was 18' square at 100yds. :D My nephew put three shots offhand into an inch and then hit two reactive targets at 200yds with the .308 and told him that if he went ahead and bought the .300, he'd be the one shooting it. Needless to say, they bought the .308 and he loves it. But it's no hunting rifle I'd want to carry.

kodiak1
10-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I have 5 Sharps Rifles, 1 Roller and 3 Bolt Actions in Heavy Barrel and no I don't go packing these thing all day out in the wide open let alone in the Bush.

Thst one Shiloh has to be close to 16#.

Ken.