PDA

View Full Version : new guns

jlb300
10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Has anyone out there decided to work up any new loads or perhaps gotten a new gun to hunt with this year. Maybe you have an old one that you may have not used to hunt with in the past. lets see if we can do different than business as usual and have fun at it. maybe not for the entire season but take an old one for a walk or a new one out for the first time.

257 ROB
04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I just purchased an H&R varmint in a 223 a couple months ago and man does it do a number on gophers and coyotes. The first coyote i shot with it was well over 350yds and the 50gr hollowpoint just sent the coyote around the world. And just today I was shooting gophers at 200yds and 50yds they explode at any range.

Muhahahahahahaha

outsidebear
04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Two weeks ago took delivery on a C. Sharps 1877 copy of an original JP Lower Sporting Rifle, chambered for the .40-70 SS (using .Hornady .405 brass, trimmed n' sized).

I'd post a picture, just not sure how to do the picture posting stuffs?

Barrel: 28" Badger, lightweight octagon.
I had them mount New England Custom Guns sling swivels (as used on European drillings, etc).
First time out, used 350 gr cast bullets, over 30.0 grs of 5744 powder.
Estimated velocity should be 1300+ fps
The first 5 shots fired were at 50 yards, with the widest spread being 7/8" between centers of the outside shots. This with open barrel sights, shooting from a solid bench resting position.
Will be getting around to using black powder later on, though I am most pleased with this first session at the bench.
Weight of the rifle comes to 8.4 pounds, balances well, and carries in the timber most friendly. Took it out for a snowshoe trip a few days ago, and of course had to let a round fly across through the trees at a large rock!

Most folks like the thought of the heavier 1874 Sharps 'buffalo' rifles, and they are indeed fine irons. Though, having just turned 62 years young, I prefer a lighter weight rifle these days. And there's really no bad things to say about the grand 'ol .40-70 SS cartrdige.

When can figure out the picture posting situation, shall post some...
regards,
outsidebear

257 ROB
04-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Yah I would love to see some pictures it sound like an awsome rifle great purchase!

versifier
04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Posting photos:
Just below the Reply To Thread window is a button labeled "Manage Attachments" and follow the instructions. We can accept a variety of different file formats, but there are size limits, so you may have to shrink the photo first.

257 ROB
04-09-2009, 06:04 PM
That is a helpful piece of info.