PDA

View Full Version : .223 load using 2230 (help)

sharps_74
11-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I have two pounds of 2230 and I need some loading information. I'm using 55gr.PSP in a 20" heavy barreled AR15. I'll also be loading 55gr. BTFMJ for plinking. My cases are mainly milsurp. Any of y'all have a load for either of these? Thanks

sirgknight
11-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Hello Sharps 74, I have been reloading .223 for about a year now and all I've used is Accurate 2230 for this caliber and I love it. I also use the Lee Modern Reloading Manual, Second Edition for most of my load data. Here are the loads that I use for 55 Grain Jacketed Bullet: Start load calls for 23.4 gr (2923 fps) up to Maximum load of 26.0 gr (3216 fps). Minimum OAL is 2.230.

I highly recommend that you get a good reloading manual. I just happen to like the Lee, but there are a lot of other good manuals available. Couldn't make a better investment. Good Luck.

versifier
11-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Welcome to Gunloads sirgknight.

I'm glad you have some experience with 2230, my experience with the cartridge has been in bolts and Contenders with 4198 and 3031, not much help to an AR man.

I have said it often before, but I would add that the most important initial investment a loader can make is to buy at least two, and better still three, different current loading manuals. Even with the most careful of editors, occasional mistakes are made inputting data (we are all human) and some of those errors find their way into print. (Yes, even in loading manuals. I have found more than a few in thirty-five years of it.) Two manuals gives you a way to double check and compare them, a third will settle the issue when the two disagree. It is also a better way to evaluate loads you get from other sources for safety. You can download the Hodgedon/IMR manual for free at their website.

sirgknight
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree whole-heartedly. I also have the load data for each powder manufacturer that I use. This, as you say, gives a cross reference to load data. Like you, I too have found a couple of discrepancies in the past. When this happens I look for another over-ruling source. But, this said, it is also better to have at least one load data reference than none at all. I would encourage anyone who enjoys our hobby, obsession, addiction (or whatever we want to call it) to put safety first to avoid any unfortunate disaster. It is our wish for everyone to enjoy this sport and to learn good traits and habits.

Catfish
11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Today you can get loading data on the net for about anything you want, includeing alot of wildcats, BUT, you get so much more than just loading data in the loading manuals.

hardcast416taylor
11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I have a mini - 14 in .223. I loaded 24.8 gr. 2230 backed with a CCI primer in a prepped LC mil. brass. I loaded both FMJ and SP bullets. It cycled mine fine and a friends AR when he ran out one day shooting with me. It even cycled a "clone" AK-47 in .223, although the cycling was so violent it tended to rip the case apart at the head! I was wondering where the 9mm brass was coming from on the ground, my buddies AK was doing it - he sold it not long after that. I use 2230 in several cartridges, but the .223 is what it is designed for. Good shooting! :)

sharps_74
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
I got in touch with Accurate and got their loading information. After some trial I settled on about 23.5 grains under a 55 grain JSP powered by a CCI 400 (small rifle) primer. I'm not sure what vel. it gives. My AR15 and suppressor like it. I'll see how it works on deer in a few days.

versifier
11-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Not sure of the bullet brand as you did not mention it, but most 55gr .224 bullets are varmint bullets, not intended for deer sized game. I would recommend something like Nosler's 60gr Partition - your rifle will easily stabilize it and it will not blow up on the surface like many lighter constructed bullets.

I will assume that as an experienced handloader you are already aware of this and I am preaching to the choir, but it bears repeating at this time of the year for the many out there who are not. ;)

I do not personally advocate the use of anything .22cal for deer even where it is legal, but I am a Hunter Ed instructor and am generally giving that advice to inexperienced shooters/hunters. Patience (and the restraint to pass up a marginal shot), perfect shot placement, and proper bullets are the key factors here. Most newbys and many "experienced" hunters lack one or more of these necessities. It is a decision that should be based on ethics, but unfortunately is often based on ignorance or ego and results in many wounded deer who are never recovered and die lingering deaths.

Every fall, many .22cal rifles (everything from .22Hornets to .220Swifts) are put into the hands of the inexperienced by well meaning people who ought to realize that despite their low recoil they are the choice of experts, (like handguns, too) for hunters with the woods skills to get close, the restraint to wait for a good broadside shot, and the marksmanship to place the bullet exactly where it needs to go. It takes most people years to develop these skills, this maturity - you can't teach it in a short HE class or in an afternoon at the local range.

sharps_74
11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Not sure of the bullet brand as you did not mention it, but most 55gr .224 bullets are varmint bullets, not intended for deer sized game. I would recommend something like Nosler's 60gr Partition - your rifle will easily stabilize it and it will not blow up on the surface like many lighter constructed bullets.

The bullets are made by Winchester. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Most of the deer are only 100-300 meters away. Wish I could've gotten my hands on some of the 60+ grain stuff before hunting season. I'll see to that for next year.

I've always worked on shot placement. Mostly heart/lung. Now I'm told elsewhere that a neck shot is more effective when using .223. that something to look further into.

versifier
11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
It might be, but I would want a bullet I'm sure would hold together, not one of the varmint bullets you are using now. Have a good season.