PDA

View Full Version : need some input

rokdog13
11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
hey guys,
I plan to purchase a rifle and want some input on what the best pick would be.
I like the BUSHMASTER .450 carbine but am thinking about the DPMS panther LR-308T. I've read alot of military guys saying they would stay away from alot of the exotic calibers because of the rarity. 308 is pretty cheap and easily found and this makes alot of sense to me. I still want to get into hand loading but havent aquired much more since I was here last.
I was thinking the .450 bushmaster would be a good pick for reloading since I have a .45 pistol if and when I get going on reloading my own I would only need one caliber of projectile.
Has anybody heard much about the .450? It seems like it would be a great hunting rig for where I live. heavy brush and lots of dense forest. A good hard hitting compact rifle would do well around here, especially when your average shot is under 200 yds.

versifier
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
If you want some info about .308 black rifles, this month's Gun Tests had some good info. The review compared the Armalite AR10, the M1A Socom, and the Ruger mini 6.8SPC. While there were some problems specific to the Armalite offering, in general the .308 in such a light rifle would be more abuse than fun, even if the gas system took some of the sting out of it. I'm glad I got my M1A, though I did not shell out the extra cash for the Socom version. The extra weight is a big plus, especially when you are doing a lot of shooting. I think I will pass on the lightweight aluminum black rifles, though they are much more appealing in less abusive chamberings. I haven't shot a .450, just seen some of the ammo, and can't see what it would do that a .45-70 or .444 lever wouldn't do better and cheaper. As for the specialty chamberings, I have shot a 6.8 and was very impressed with accuracy and knock down potential for deer hunting. The lack of bullet choices is the sticking point for me. Why they didn't go with 6.5 I will never understand - I'd buy one in a minute. Personally, I'd like to see the M1A made in .260, that would be the best of both worlds.

rokdog13
11-11-2008, 11:23 PM
M1A in .260? Made by whom? I talked to Springfield armory and they said they had so many orders for the .308 they werent even considering chambering anything else at the time. But, I'll go research it.
I've shot mini-14's in the past and really liked the rifle till the bolt cracked and jammed. Old rifle?
I've had a few black guns and my only gripe is ergonomics which I have with almost any rifle I have shot and my ability to shoot way more rounds than I can afford. So, doesnt the arguement come down to familiarity and availability of parts that are interchangeable?
I want to get something compact, durable and semi Auto. I've thought about the BAR shorttrack, but I feel it my duty as a stupid redneck American to buy a rifle that insults the big city elites.
hehe..
An AR carbine in a big caliber like the .450 seems like it would be a great brush gun. open sights and sling strap so you could climb over stuff easily without it getting in the way and not have to worry about the gun getting slapped around a little.
What do you think?
Also, you were referring to the 6.5 Creedmor right?

versifier
11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
No one makes it. I just wish Springfield did. I suppose the conversion wouldn't be too difficult, but it's more than I would want to tackle. I can rebarrel a bolt action.

The problems I have had with Mini14's and Mini30's have been their usually poor accuracy, though I have found one of each that was accurate enough to be interesting, and I have heard very good things about the target model that they introduced last year, but have not had a chance to shoot one yet.

I have no problem with having a politically incorrect rifle. :happy59:

I was thinking specifically of the 6.5/.223. That would be a simple conversion for black rifle or Mini14. It's based on a common case easily reformed, has a wide variety of bullets available for it, and is suitable for varmints (four footed or two) to deer at reasonable ranges.