PDA

View Full Version : Savage? Stevens?

DeanoBeanCounter
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
OK. I know that Savage has the best out of the box accuracy. Now, what about Stevens? I understand that it's a Savage without all the whistles and bells. I bought a Stevens model 200 in 300 Win Mag last year and dropped a buffalo in one shot at about 125 yards. At a hundred yards I can get 2 shots in the area of a quarter but the third shot is a flyer. It seems the barrel is too hot then, it's a very light barrel so that's the problem there. I figure is you don't get the animal in one or two shots, it's run away anyway.
Anyway.
Am I right in my thinking that a Stevens is just about as good as a Savage for accuracy?
Any thoughts?
Any opinions?
Any stats?
Any thing?
Except for getting kicked by a mule every time I shoot this thing, I think I'm doing pretty good shooting.
Dean

GaCop
04-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Responding quite late after your posting. It's the cheaper version of the Savage. No Accu-trigger but that's about it. I built my 6mm Norma BR on a Stevens Short Centerfeed action. I'm using a Sharp Shooter Supply single shot follower specifically made for the centerfeed, it snaps into the underside of the action. I love it, my rounds slide into the chamber like they were greased. I've built four Savage action rifles in 260 Rem, 7mm/08, 308 and of course the 6mm BR. The 7mm/08 is built on a long action so I can take advantage of the ability to seat my bullets closer to the lands and still use the magazine (30-06 length). My best 7mm/08 load to date, out of a factory 22" sporter barrel is 42.5 grains of Varget pushing a Nosler 120 grain BT to 2957 fps. I'm seating the Noslers .012" off the lands. Brass is prepped RP and CCI BR-2 primers Five shot groups are running around .632" at 100 yards. For safety sake in your action, drop back 5 or 10 percent to start.

I love being able to barrel and headspace my own actions. The money saved buys more powder and bullets.

257 ROB
05-01-2009, 08:10 PM
The stevens is an extremely accurate rifle, my only problem is there is no floorplate. But that is just my two cents.

dale clawson
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I just traded for a new Stevens in 22-250 and find it equal to the Savage except for the tupperware stock, which is flimsy. I plan to remedy this by embedding a piece of aluminum bar in the bottom of the forearm. The thin barrel heats up quickly. I have a stock for a heavy barrel Savage, but the Stevens stock bolts are too short and the trigger guard is slightly too large to fit the inlet in the Savage stock.

MT Gianni
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Deano, I have a 223 that is a shooter, Stevens 200. The trigger is terrible and it takes a lot of concentration but an aftermarket is available.

dale clawson
01-29-2010, 07:36 PM
The trigger on the Stevens is easily adjustable. I bent the wire type spring slightly to get the pull light enough.