Thread: yugo m48 mauser

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default yugo m48 mauser

our rifle/pistol club is offering yugo m48 mausers in 8mm with matching serial numbers and test fired bores only for a VERY reasonable price. i am not familiar with the 8mm round. has anyone had any experience with the round/rifle. thanks. rocker.
    Do your best. Keep your promises,
    Life member-NRA, NAHC, & MOAA.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hi Rocker,
    I guess I have been around the block with the 8mm mauser. I purchased mine from a co worker in 1984. It was a 24" carbine in a horribly cut down military stock. I had it fitted out with a bell and carlson fiberglass stock and had a williams foolproof receiver sight mounted. Turned into a nice rifle. A few years ago, I commissioned a friend to build a 30-06 on a mauser action for my son--WOW! But at the same time, since I was holding a little extra money, I had him have the 8mm reblued, fitted out with a bold trigger and side safety, and drilled ant tapped for scoping. What a difference!! GREAT RIFLE! As far as 8mm goes, the only use I have for factory ammo made in this country is to empty it as fast as I can to get the brass for reloading. Rem and Win do NOT load this round to anywhere near its full potential. A sound mauser action (your YUGO will definitely qualify) will handle modern full pressure loads equivalent to a 30-06 with aplomb!! Mine is very fond of 150 grain Hornady spire points and enough 3031 to get it up to 2700-2800 fps. It will shoot this load all day long. Also, there seems to be something about the caliber that drops deer in their tracks--I have yet to shoot anything twice with mine in over twenty years of hunting!! Good luck and happy shooting!