Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default 40-60 winchester

Do any of you guys have a load for the 40-60 winchester ?

I am shooting a winchester 1876 repro. , I made some cases from starline 45-70 cases.

I do not have any loading books that give loads for that round. So I went to Cartilages of the world and they list 210 gr. cast bullet with 21 grs. fo 4198 .

So I loaded up 50 and went to the range , I put one in the gun and shot it , there was no recoil and very little noise , and no shot on the target , I pulled the case and the bullet was gone , so i look down that barrell and it was clear , I though that I may have loaded the case with no powder {very unlikey but any thing can happen }

I then shot a few more and the power charge was just enouf to get the bullet out of the barrell. So I pulled the bullets and nead to start over.

I am hoping that some one out there can give me a starting load.

Thanks,

Bob Spangler

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Welcome to Gunloads Bob.

HMCC lists the same load from the same source. Neither Hodgedon, Sierra, nor Lee has any data at all on it. I have to get new Lyman manuals, both of mine have been borrowed and not returned, but that is where I think you will find what you're looking for. Hopefully one of the guys here with more reliable friends will take a look in his and see if there are some loads for you. I would also ask next door at Cast Boolits.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?