Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Reloading the .40 S&W Cal using Range Brass and WSP Primers

My real question is due to the fact I can not find the Winchester SP Primers, but can find the CCI Small Pistol Primers both Standard not Magnum. Can I replace the Primer with the CCI brand with out any bad effects I'm using 4.3 gns of HP-38 Powder under a HrnadyJHP 180 GR and WSP Primers. Or will I have to start Over again to work up a load. The current load is working verywell in the Baby Eagle.
    Last edited by Kelly J; 03-22-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

http://www.GunVoter.org/

Beginner Reloader
    currently between heaven and hades (ie; above ground )
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

i dont shoot alot of .40 however i've changed the primers a bit in my 10 mm and a few other calibers since the prior shortage ( 08 ) , winchester used to offer 3 types of small pistol primers - SP , SP mag , and SP for regular and mag , you shouldnt have bad results if within the same brisance , if you was switching to magnums i'd suggest a reduction in powder , i didnt check your data against published data yet it seems i recall you're only a couple tenths above the start charge leaving a lil bit of cushion factor leaving my best suggestion to load a mag and check

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kelly J,
    Do not use the magnum primers with the .40 S&W. I have used at least 4 different brands (CCI being one of the brands) of the small pistol primers in my loads with the .40 S&W, with no problems. I saw, nor felt any difference in practical accuracy and recoil. CCI's are a harder primer, and a revolver tuned for Cowboy Action Shooting will not ignite them. However, your Baby Eagle should ignite them fine.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by fryboy View Post
    i dont shoot alot of .40 however i've changed the primers a bit in my 10 mm and a few other calibers since the prior shortage ( 08 ) , winchester used to offer 3 types of small pistol primers - SP , SP mag , and SP for regular and mag , you shouldnt have bad results if within the same brisance , if you was switching to magnums i'd suggest a reduction in powder , i didnt check your data against published data yet it seems i recall you're only a couple tenths above the start charge leaving a lil bit of cushion factor leaving my best suggestion to load a mag and check
    I thank you for your input, I have since located enough Winchester SP Primers so the Problem is solved.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

http://www.GunVoter.org/

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Ah, that's good.