Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default I want a new shotgun

Does anyone have any suggestions on a new cheaper shotgun, id like a 20 guage

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You can't do better than a Remington 870. It's a time proven design. They're easy to disassemble (two pins) and they stand up very well under hard use. I shudder to think how many shells my old 20 has through it, mostly at clay birds (the dog is giving me a dirty look as I type this, and I deserve it, but the leaves aren't down yet despite lots of rain and then snow last night). I would get one with a 3" chamber in case you want to hunt waterfowl, but 2.75" shells are fine for everything else, including home defense.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'll second the 870 vote. For a cheap shotgun ask for the "870 express". It comes with the satin finish and cheap wood stock and forearm, it should be about 3 bills new. The other model is the "wingmaster" that comes with the really nice wood and gloss blue finish. I have seen the wingmasters priced well over 7 bills new! Mechanically I can see no difference. All the parts will interchange between the express and wingmaster that I have.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the advise, right now Im using an old single shot winchester 20. I think Im gonna go with the 870.

Advanced Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

my 870 is bullet proof.. HAHA!! need another. I have the tactical which is worthless for hunting birds with such a short barrel.
    Last edited by rokdog13; 10-16-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I don't know about that...I think that depends on what and where you're hunting. I love my short barrel in thick brush. Here in New England, I think long barrels are useless for upland hunting. In fact, I often cut barrels down to just over minimum length for local woodcock and partridge (grouse to you non-Yankees) hunters. Only the waterfowlers and target shooters around here like long barrels on their shotguns. But, I could see liking a longer barrel if I hunted where I had some room to swing without getting caught in the puckerbrush.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Barrel too short? buy a second barrel. Keep the tactical on the gun at home, and swap in a nice 28 in rem-choke barrel for the field. Two guns for the price of 1.3 (barrels are not cheap, but they are less than a new gun.)