Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default What is the NRA Going to do next?

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/

What is the NRA going to do next?

URGENT ALERT: NRA cuts deals to limit free speech

Three prominent Washington D.C. websites are reporting what many capitol insiders warned of: the National Rifle Association has made a deal with the devil (i.e. anti-gun Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) to limit the free speech of Americans in exchange for their carved-out exemption.

Read the entire story here:

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

http://www.GunVoter.org/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Statement From The National Rifle
    Association On H.R. 5175, The Disclose Act

The National Rifle Association believes that any restrictions on the political speech of Americans are unconstitutional.

In the past, through the courts and in Congress, the NRA has opposed any effort to restrict the rights of its four million members to speak and have their voices heard on behalf of gun owners nationwide.

The NRA's opposition to restrictions on political speech includes its May 26, 2010 letter to Members of Congress expressing strong concerns about H.R. 5175, the DISCLOSE Act. As it stood at the time of that letter, the measure would have undermined or obliterated virtually all of the NRA's right to free political speech and, therefore, jeopardized the Second Amendment rights of every law-abiding American.

The most potent defense of the Second Amendment requires the most adamant exercise of the First Amendment. The NRA stands absolutely obligated to its members to ensure maximum access to the First Amendment, in order to protect and preserve the freedom of the Second Amendment.

The NRA must preserve its ability to speak. It cannot risk a strategy that would deny its rights, for the Second Amendment cannot be defended without them.

Thus, the NRA's first obligation must be to its members and to its most ardent defense of firearms freedom for America's lawful gun owners.

On June 14, 2010, Democratic leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives pledged that H.R. 5175 would be amended to exempt groups like the NRA, that meet certain criteria, from its onerous restrictions on political speech. As a result, and as long as that remains the case, the NRA will not be involved in final consideration of the House bill.

The NRA cannot defend the Second Amendment from the attacks we face in the local, state, federal, international and judicial arenas without the ability to speak. We will not allow ourselves to be silenced while the national news media, politicians and others are allowed to attack us freely.

The NRA will continue to fight for its right to speak out in defense of the Second Amendment. Any efforts to silence the political speech of NRA members will, as has been the case in the past, be met with strong opposition.

---nra---
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

http://patriotpost.us/

Digest · June 18, 2010

New & Notable Legislation

The DISCLOSE Act, a campaign finance bill meant partially to reverse the outcome of the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, came one step closer to passing this week. Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) made a deal with the National Rifle Association that would exempt the organization from disclosure rules in the bill. The NRA's reasoning for this back room deal is that it exists to protect Second Amendment rights and will fight to keep its donors' information private. They aren't offering support for any version of the bill, but by backing out of the way, they are handing the keys to passage to Democrats and their union allies, who oppose everything the NRA stands for. Despite the NRA's Faustian bargain, Republicans remain opposed and Democrats were forced to cancel a Friday vote as they struggled to unify their own caucus.

http://patriotpost.us/

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

This site doesnt get much traffic--maybe the pot needs stirring? The NRA started as a fine organization. But the R in NRA became more so Republican than Rifle. I could not stand Bush as govenor of Texas and didnt like his daddy either. Why would I want to donate to NRA to get him elected? Does that make me anti gun? Couple years ago I did hear that the NRA was supporting a youth program at a gun club in Ohio, I'm sure there is other such activity, but political stuff is about all I hear about and as stated I don't always agree with their political view---Bush for example had 17% approval rating, so many more must agree with me. Take the money that is spent on politics and build some rifle ranges and get more folks interested in shooting. NRA is not the only organization that falls into that catagory. There are so many different organizations thats purpose is to protect the rights of veterans and current active duty members that I couldn't start to name them all. Air Force sgts assn, Petty officers assn, NCOA, on and on. Bunches of them. They are watered down. If they would unite they be pretty strong. That isnt going to happen. Folks would be losing big buck posistions. Take the Teamsters for example. Strong union. If they branched off into Mac drivers, Peterbilt Drivers, concrete haulers, pipe haulers, gravel haulers, sand haulers, cattle haulers------- they would lose strength and be watered down too. Like to see a push to get RIFLE back in NRA.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The problem is that people belong to the NRA so they can say they belong, as to any active personal participation in any of the NRA Efforts I have my doubts.
    Every time I post anything against the NRA or even post a Questionable effort by the NRA, the members come at me like I had asked to sleep with their wives or something.
    I try to post what I get as information, not a personal opinion, nor do I actually trash the ORG. but at the same time I do not have to agree with them!

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kelly J--No personal attack on you--just my own personal view of things. It's like Jehovah Witness, they are conscientious objectors, so there is no way I will donate to their WatchTower ---they may be the greatest church ever but as a former Air Force recruiter---their views and mine are complete opposite.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Kelly J--No personal attack on you--just my own personal view of things. It's like Jehovah Witness, they are conscientious objectors, so there is no way I will donate to their WatchTower ---they may be the greatest church ever but as a former Air Force recruiter---their views and mine are complete opposite.
    I did not even think you had replied to this in a personal way toward me, I was just trying to convey the opposition I normally run into with regard to the NRA. I dropped my membership when the NRA brokered a deal over the NICS Program with the US House Democrats, back in the day.

I'm leaning veryheavily toward the JPFO Org. ( http://www.jpfo.org/ ) they don't sugar coat or play games they tell it like it is.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I too dropped my NRA membership for reasons already mentioned. I also dropped my Air Force Sgts Assn(AFSA) membership. AFSA wanted to raise money (which is ok) but they sent the membership a box of "free" Christmas cards along with a sob story about all the funds they needed to generate and that the members had this golden opportunity to donate and they were receiving "free" Christmas cards. If the member failed to donate they were bombarded with friendly reminders that perhaps they forgot to donate. This scam borderlines being illegal and is a poor way to do business. I was president of my local AFSA chapter and many members complained about this Christmas card scam. I wrote headquarters a letter. They replied "thank you for your past support" (I had not resigned nor quit) They also told me how much money they had raised with the Christmas cards. Basically they are about the money and to hell with what majority of members think. They were correct---it became past support.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

wow this site is really busy--how do the moderators ever control the crowds?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I, too, have been increasingly disappointed with the NRA over the past few years. I got sick of the telephone harassment. When I asked to be removed from the contact list, the guy just laughed at me. Someone had been active on their website using my membership number, reported to them three times, by phone, by mail, and by email. No reply, no action, just continued solicitations by mail and phone for cash. The political contortions they've been going through lately are just the last straw. I have been a member off and on my entire adult life, but they've seen the last of my money. I support 2AF and CCRKBA and feel that they are working for ME, not some nebulous adjenda that doesn't include the needs or desires of their membership.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?