Thread: New-old gunner

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default New-old gunner

Hi everyone and thanks for having me. Basically Im a retired Navy/CG gunner (CWO4-WEPS) retired now 6 years and finally getting re-interested in shooting my AR/50 BMG again. Its taken a long time to get the desire to shoot again after being involved with small arms, major weapon systems, and LE day in and out for 30 years. Since I have never reloaded before this part of ordnance has re-sparked my interest and Im in the final stages of setting up my RCBS 50 BMG Ammo-master which I have had in storage new for 7 years. Cant wait to start reloading my old 50 BMG brass and measuring results at our local 1000 yard range.

The only thing I am stumped on is a reasonable cost long range spotting scope, I suppose at that range walking to verify every group will be necessary. Im hoping my Ziess 3-9X40 scope which has the best optics I have ever used will allow me to see the holes that far as this is the longest distance I have shot my AR/50 only 600 yards previously with BMG issue 2-3 inch groups.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cwo4gunner
    Welcome to the site. Sounds like you got a lot on the go and a lot of fun ahead of you.

At 1000 yards 50 cal hole will be getting pretty small and I don't know if your scope will have the magnification to pic them up.
    Hopefully it all works out for you.

Ken.
    Last edited by kodiak1; 02-13-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Bad Speller
    Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot.

Beginner Reloader
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Yeah Im worried about that 1000 yard (Mile High Range AZ) spotting as I have only shot my AR/50 400 yards. But I can attest truthfully that the Zeiss 3-9 X 40 can pick out every detail at 400 yards on an actual measured range (Pungo VA) so Im hopeful, I also shot it at a steel plate here in open desert 600 yards but that was using a range finder, each time the Zeiss was Cristal sharp clear so even though magnification was noT great I could still plainly make out holes. What I did buy to try and bridge the spotting gap is buy a new spotting scope for $300 as I couldn't afford to buy a larger rifle scope in a Ziess 6-20X50 cost like $1100 so after a ton of research hoping this spotting scope will bridge this gap.
    http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-5225...7731539&sr=8-4
    Last edited by CWO4GUNNER; 02-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.