Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Guys I've got a question

I was given some S&W .44 Special Brass so I could reload it in preparation of my next acquisition a Henry Golden Boy .44 Magnum.

After I tumbled the Brass to get a good look at it to make sure it was reloadable I found a surprise, within the bunch there was a few new brass that had never been loaded, so I thought lucky me then I found the source for my Question a total of 50 Brass cases that appeared to be new but there was a fired Primer in each one, the outside of the Brass looked ever bit as good as the New Brass, and while inspecting it I looked inside to see how much if any more tumble time would be required, the inside of the case was as clean as the new brass no carbon, no discoloration, nothing.

I'm thinking by now I got to get me some of this, well there in lies my Question, I can not find it anywhere, no one has heard of it, here in my neck of the woods so I need to expand my search.

The Brass in question is as stated .44 S&W Special, the head stamp reads 3-D IMPACT 44 S&W SPL. Do any of you know anything about this brand of Ammo and can it still be purchased, of course what loadings are available. I spent 3 Hours on the Web and found nothing.

HELP
    Last edited by Kelly J; 06-30-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

http://www.GunVoter.org/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It sounds like the same thing you see in the WinClean lead free indoor loads - fired primer but very clean cases. I suspect it is a similar product. Can't help you with the brand as I've never seen of it either.

I hope the .44 Golden Boys are a lot better made than Henry's .22lr's of similar appearance. As Hunter Ed instructors we got a "great" deal on them but the insides were full of plastic parts and they did not make it through even one class without self-destructing. That was four years ago and to my knowledge NO changes have been made to the model. I was not particularly impressed dealing with the company to get them repaired, either. The factory rep that came to our anual banquet was a real twit, too. I've been very leery of any Henry products ever since. Please post a report on it when you have had a chance to put it through its paces.
    If I can see it, I can hit it. Now, where did I put my glasses?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Haven't bought it yet, but when I do I will give you a Report.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth." George Washington.

Beginner Reloader
    currently between heaven and hades (ie; above ground )
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

3-d went belly up some time back

http://www.homefacts.com/environment...d-Bullets.html

http://www.shooterslegacy.net/forum/...p?f=11&t=10886

some primers indeed leave less residue ( as do powder and loads ) years ago i tested quite a few primers for umm cleanliness after being fired , my end results weren'nt conclusive enough to matter , oddly enough what i did find that made a difference is if i polished the cases first , the crud that was left ( when it was left that is ) seemed to clean out easier , weird i know but ... and the smoother the bottom of the pockets were likewise easier to clean , another tidbit is that for factory ammo s&b seemed to be about cleanest in the pocket ( cant state that for the rest of the inside of the case however )

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by versifier View Post
    It sounds like the same thing you see in the WinClean lead free indoor loads - fired primer but very clean cases. I suspect it is a similar product. Can't help you with the brand as I've never seen of it either.

I hope the .44 Golden Boys are a lot better made than Henry's .22lr's of similar appearance. As Hunter Ed instructors we got a "great" deal on them but the insides were full of plastic parts and they did not make it through even one class without self-destructing. That was four years ago and to my knowledge NO changes have been made to the model. I was not particularly impressed dealing with the company to get them repaired, either. The factory rep that came to our anual banquet was a real twit, too. I've been very leery of any Henry products ever since. Please post a report on it when you have had a chance to put it through its paces.
    Being concerned I contacted Anthony Imperato and asked him point blank about Henry using any Plastic Parts inthe fabricationof their weapons. This is his Reply: Appreciate it if you can post the following. Henry hasn’t used plastic part on any internals in over 10 years and all parts now are metal other than the plastic orange follower on the inner mag tube which is there for safety reasons. We don’t have any reps so whoever he thinks is the twit was not a Henry rep at that event. He can email me directly anthony@henryrepeating.com
    Thanks for sending this.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony Imperato
    President

Henry Repeating Arms
    59 E 1st Street
    Bayonne, NJ 07002

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thank you for following it up. Interesting reply. Ten years? As I said, two were bought brand new four years ago in 2008. One was bought by someone in my group and a second by a friend in another, both had plastic action parts and both self destructed during function drills (students load five dummy rounds and work them through the action). Last year was my sixth and final year as a HE & BHE instructor. I won't call him a liar, maybe they were simply unloading their older models (at substantial discount) to HE instructors. (One that was raffled off at our spring banquet two years ago was full of plastic, too, but that one was donated by a dealer in the southern part of the state so to be fair in light of what he said I have no way of knowing when it was made. I assumed it was current production, which prompted my statement above, but clearly it was not.) Someone worked a table for them in 2008 at our annual meeting/banquet, answered questions and passed out literature - along with "actual" reps from S&W, Ruger, Knight, & T/C who worked their own tables. Henry had no catalog, just color glossy two-sided sheets, one sheet for each of their offerings.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the responce, and my main concern was after readig your thoughts on the Henry and considering my intention to buy yet anothe one I wanted to get to the bottom of it from te Horses Mouth so to speak, I had e-mailed Anthony before and had a very good feeling about his product line and as a Retired Toolmaker I appreciate Quality and told him so.
    In the course of doing business things are tryied and some worked out a others don't. Many Manufacturers try the use of Plastics in manyforms to decrease cost and to allow the fabrication process to be cost efective, the auto industry is a prime example of that.
    That being said I'm pleased that the Henry does not any longer utilize the use of Plastic in the Fabrication of their Weapons, other that the Magazine plunger tip.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Fair is fair. Last week I had a chance to shoot a Henry .22 lever, not the Yellow Boy, but the regular steel model recently purchased. I found this one to be a very well made rifle, inside and out. Checkering was cleanly cut and the walnut was much nicer than one would expect for the price. No plastic except the follower mentioned above. It fed and functioned flawlessly and we put several hundred rounds through it. We were shooting at reactive targets, not paper, so I don't know exactly how accurate it was with the Fed HP's we used, but we had no trouble hitting what we were aiming at from 25-75yards. If I liked lever actions better I would buy one, and I would not hesitate to use it in a class. For the hunter who uses a Winchester levergun, this should be on the "must have" list.